ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everyone? First, my apologies if this was posted in the wrong section.

I would like to know what tool set you guys recommend for someone trying to get a lot more into DIY's. I'm tired of relying mostly on mechanics, and would love to learn and work on my own car.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Metric socket set
Metric wrenches
Torque wrench

That'd be a good base...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your input. Any tool set that comes with a great assortment of good base tools to use?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Crafstman is a good brand.If you are lucky ,you may find some still "Made in USA".

To the mentioned I would add some extenders for the socket wrench,6 point & 12 point metric sockets.

Maybe a breaker bar.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
^I don't see where that kit has any 6 pts. - they are a must for both sockets and wrenches whereas 12 pts. are optional. For wrenches if you can get ratcheting12 pts. (assuming you have solid 6 pts. you can smack with a BFH). Kits may be convenient but it is usually better to just get what you really need. One good approach is get just the basics and buy additional tools as necessary for whatever you are planning to do. I'm not saying buy one wrench at a time, but if you buy what you need when you need it you end up with everything you need.

+1 on the torque wrench. A small one and a large one is ideal, but start with a large one.

Pb Blaster.

Jack Stands.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
mycologist said:
Kits may be convenient but it is usually better to just get what you really need. One good approach is get just the basics and buy additional tools as necessary for whatever you are planning to do. I'm not saying buy one wrench at a time, but if you buy what you need when you need it you end up with everything you need.
This.

Get a basic metric socket set (½") and wrench set that each cover 8-17mm. That should give you enough to take on many DIY projects. Buy other tools as needed, as per install directions you find online.

mycologist said:
Jack Stands.
Low-profile racing jack (Harbor Freight has some decent prices)
Jack stands
Ramps (AutoZone carries a set that's ~$40)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
If you have the money upfront buying a set like GarretKoonsman suggested is a great deal in the end. You save alot over trying to buy all that stuff separately. Craftsman is pretty decent stuff and they have a good amount of different sets to choose from. I use my tools for more than just working on cars so it's nice to have a good assortment. Craftsman Home Depot's Husky line of tools and Lowe's Kolbalt line a nice as well. The nice thing about all three is if you break them you can just bring them into any of their stores and they replace them for free.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
But get 6 pts. either way :)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I just got the generic Craftsman 200-something mechanics set, and I've picked up anything else I've needed along the way. So far I've had basically every tool I've needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice guys. Truly helpful.

__
This.

Get a basic metric socket set (½") and wrench set that each cover 8-17mm. That should give you enough to take on many DIY projects. Buy other tools as needed, as per install directions you find online.

Low-profile racing jack (Harbor Freight has some decent prices)
Jack stands
Ramps (AutoZone carries a set that's ~$40)
So I've been on the hunt for a socket and wrench set as you've mentioned; and I found these on Amazon:

Amazon.com: GearWrench 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set: Home Improvement

and

Amazon.com: GearWrench 9902 16 Piece Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set Metric: Home Improvement

--
I didn't see the wrenches being described as 6pt. or otherwise, which another posted mentioned was important. Unless they're a universal type. If someone with more experience can chime in on these it would be extremely helpful.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
That was me going on about the 6pt.

Gear wrenches are not 6pt, and you can't hammer on them anyways. They are nice for after a bolt is broken free though.

These are the kind you can beat the crap out of with a BFH.

Amazon.com: Craftsman 9 pc. Metric 6 pt. Combination Wrench Set, # 47235: Home Improvement

Thanks for the advice guys. Truly helpful.

__

So I've been on the hunt for a socket and wrench set as you've mentioned; and I found these on Amazon:

Amazon.com: GearWrench 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set: Home Improvement

and

Amazon.com: GearWrench 9902 16 Piece Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set Metric: Home Improvement

--
I didn't see the wrenches being described as 6pt. or otherwise, which another posted mentioned was important. Unless they're a universal type. If someone with more experience can chime in on these it would be extremely helpful.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
well having now over $100,000(no not just ratchets) in tools in the shop those tool truck bastards still find ways to get my cash...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was me going on about the 6pt.

Gear wrenches are not 6pt, and you can't hammer on them anyways. They are nice for after a bolt is broken free though.

These are the kind you can beat the crap out of with a BFH.

Amazon.com: Craftsman 9 pc. Metric 6 pt. Combination Wrench Set, # 47235: Home Improvement
Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I'm looking for a set that includes 17mm (both socket and ratchet), so I can start off with doing an oil change on my car. Combination wrench I guess would be preferred/have more use. If it makes sense for me to buy that one wrench separate, then I suppose I don't mind.

Basically I'm trying to get a set that covers the aforementioned sizes, while at the same time getting what I need to do the oil change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just showing you the pic.

They make various sets, just search for a deal if you want.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'd get the 18 pc. though.
This? Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Another newb question also. I noticed it doesn't mention 6 pt., but I'll assume since the wrench is bigger more points are added; thus it will accommodate for 6 pts. anyway?

In that case I'll get that and this: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

1 - 20 of 29 Posts