Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night a friend of mine wanted to go for a ride in the new WRX..(3500 miles) and the testosterone levels got a bit too high and better judgement went out the window. We rounded a fairly sharp left hander at 90+ and well...lets just say that was way too fast for that curve, the back end swung out quite nicely, i corrected, and the car caught and snapped back the other way and went spinning, we did at least a 720 (managing to keep it between the ditches somehow, probably luck) and when the car finally straightened out i hit some guy's mailbox at about 25mph. It scratched & gouged my bumper pretty bad, and scratched my hood up really bad and put a couple small dings in it, it also cracked the three little supports in the front of the hood scoop and scratched that up pretty bad. So the best I can figure I'm going to need a front bumper, a new hood(maybe, possibly salvageable), and a new hood scoop, and all of it painted(WR Blue). Anyone have any idea how much these items are going to cost? Would this be a good opportunity to invest in anything aftermarket for those items? Also, anyone know if these parts(especially the bumper) can be painted off the car and fitted later? if so I may just get them painted and do it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
broken parts

i'd say that would all be going for a couple (more than 5) hundred dollars. Bumpers are acutally more expensive that i had originally thought. i'm not the definitive source on car repair, so correct me if i am wrong

720 in a car sounds pretty exciting/scary. was the road wet?

·
895 Posts
wow, 720?! must've been one hellouva crazy ride!

sorry about the damage, though. but if it'll cost you that much to get it fixed, might as well get the CF hood (about 500) and get an aftermarket bumper.

on the bright side, accidents can be good excuses to upgrade from OEM;)

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
oem

what is oem? and what is there to upgrade?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I'm definitely quite lucky I only hit a mailbox and not the telephone pole that my eyes fixated on whilst spinning, although the mailbox was mounted on a 4x4 wooden post. Any suggestions on specific parts/vendors for a CF hood and/or aftermarket bumper? What advantage is there to getting a CF hood, other than the cool factor?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had to get my rear bumper replaced and painted: $550. Just to give you an idea of what those cosmetic parts can cost.

CF hoods... it's light. I guess it's cool to some people. I guess it looks cool too. I respect that. I honestly think there's nothing uglier. But then again, I'm getting older...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not real keen on the look of a CF hood either, and it seems like I remember that they're roughly the same weight as the factory aluminum hood (around 16 lbs). If so, I dont see the point, unless you just like the look.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm with you guys. The stock WRX hood is super-light. If you don't believe me, lift the hood of a 2002 2.5RS (Ow, my back!) and CF is ugly. IMO, the only car that can pull off a CF hood is a black one with a CF hoodscoop too.

I do own a graphite pool-cue, but I prefer my white pine one.

I won't deny that CF, when used properly is an amazing structural material.

-Jim

·
895 Posts
how much does your graphite cue weigh? i really see no point to those. i remember feeling one and noticing how smooth it was, but they were ultra light. i have an old school cue thats 20 some odd ounces

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Both of my cues are 20 oz. The idea behind them is smoothness and ideal weighting. They look cool too. I like it, but the pine cue has a larger tip diameter, which I prefer.

Damn, it's been a long time since I've played pool. My table is surrounded by crap.

-Jim

Penguinking said:
how much does your graphite cue weigh? i really see no point to those. i remember feeling one and noticing how smooth it was, but they were ultra light. i have an old school cue thats 20 some odd ounces

·
895 Posts
i know. i've stopped playing pool and now all i do is drive or work on my car. i guess i've got my priorities straight though :D

·
2,210 Posts
Nice to see I'm in good company... I also find the cf hoods ugly. In fact, I'm really not down with the cf look period, unless it's inside the car. And even that is less than ideal IMO.

If you have to get a new scoop, definitely get the STi - either genuine or replica. It'll probably be a whole bunch cheaper than getting oem from your dealer, and should increase airflow some to your TMIC.

-Pace

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI i just got off the phone with the parts dept of my dealer:

hood (which apparently comes with the scoop) is 574.99
F. Bumper Cover is 209.94

I'm waiting to hear back for how much it will cost to paint em

also, here are pix of the damage(the url thingie doesnt work for this long link)

http://photos.msn.com/viewing/album.aspx?m7A!X9U3q6YzeOp!RYJqTYJWjidzI9fex9hDr12QUqKBqJPRP1KSxEF9EG*RBbo7Bv6Bn8G!WwVY4YaI7SUa5*3VYo!JQRwuFuoBkoQRdkw$

·
2,210 Posts
Have you taken it to a bodyshop as-is to get a quote? The hood and scoop don't look bad at all in the photos. No doubt you will have to replace the bumper though - a swift kick can necessitate replacement for those things.

-Pace

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The scoop will definitely need replacing, if you look closely, two of the little supports in it are broken (and gone), which makes it do a kindof funny "gulping" action going down the highway at 70. The hood may be workable, but I'm inclinded to put a new one on it to make my baby new again. The hood is dented slightly in several places, and i'd rather not have any bondo in it if I can help it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so I got an estimate today from the body shop my dealer owns, they think they can fix the hood (with an est. of 8 hours labor, not counting painting it or the rest of the car)

Anyway, the total estimate comes out to $1473, the body shop shows the hood scoop as being a seperate part at $169, and the guy at subaru told me it was included with the hood (which I kindof doubted anyway)

Personally, I think its a little high, and I'm going to get a couple more estmiates before I get it fixed, and I think I'll go with a new hood rather risk it not being perfect. Besides, I could probably sell the hood & scratched up bumper cover to someone racing.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Azurik said:
The scoop will definitely need replacing, if you look closely, two of the little supports in it are broken (and gone), which makes it do a kindof funny "gulping" action going down the highway at 70.
LOL...I guess she's hungry! :D

I'd definitely check with aftermarket STi type scoop. No point in paying OEM prices when you could get something "better" for approximately the same cost. My $0.02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts