ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for the future i'm looking into some sort of an FMIC. I've found a couple that retain the fog lights which is what i would want to do. Mainly i did find one by a company called APS that is (they say) designed for 500-750HP applications.

Can you have too large of an intercooler? It would be running with a VF34 and STi injectors, 255lph etc.

Also what do you think of the turboXS FMIC.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Kutarkvalidus said:
Ok, so for the future i'm looking into some sort of an FMIC. I've found a couple that retain the fog lights which is what i would want to do. Mainly i did find one by a company called APS that is (they say) designed for 500-750HP applications.

Can you have too large of an intercooler? It would be running with a VF34 and STi injectors, 255lph etc.

Also what do you think of the turboXS FMIC.

with a well tuned Vf34 set up you can be making right around 300awhp. the APS will work just fine with this. There are many members here running the APS with the VF turbos upto the 18g's.
TurboXS is also a nice FMIC. When chosing a FMIC most are going to do the same thing from what I see.... there is a large variety being used on this board. dr500 is the APS one that is used if I am not mistaken
but yes, the APS will be just fine for your vf34 setup. realistically, you would be lucky to come across like 2 rex's pushing over 500hp in your lifetime.... I belive out of this whole board there were only 2 putting down those #'s.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Re: Too large of an FMIC?

DTR rex said:
with a well tuned Vf34 set up you can be making right around 300awhp. the APS will work just fine with this. There are many members here running the APS with the VF turbos upto the 18g's.
TurboXS is also a nice FMIC. When chosing a FMIC most are going to do the same thing from what I see.... there is a large variety being used on this board. dr500 is the APS one that is used if I am not mistaken
but yes, the APS will be just fine for your vf34 setup. realistically, you would be lucky to come across like 2 rex's pushing over 500hp in your lifetime.... I belive out of this whole board there were only 2 putting down those #'s.
well the APS D/R500 is no longer in production, nor is the 650 model. now ita all about the APS D/R 725. and that is a bit overkill for a vf series turbo. i would just stick to a top mount if your certain youll stay on the vf turbo.
slap on an APS sr55 and the lot and youll be looking at 500hp

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
if you're not going any larger than a VF series turbo you don't really need a front mount. A FM does however offer you better consistency as far as avoiding the heatsoak that the TMIC gets. Fmic is overkill for the vf34 turbo IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay yall are sayin a FM is an overkill for a Vf series turbo....so basically if your turbo isn't strong enough or big enough then there is no point in gettin a FMIC becuase it will what damage the turbo or no?? cus i mean if your jus goin for a looks of a FMIC and get a hood wit a different scoop in it, then is there harm in it or wha???

got 2 questions, for ya...help out a playa

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
A FMIC isn't going to hurt your turbo, it may make it a little laggier but that is about it.

I can't understand your second question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh jus askin if there is any harm in it....but jus lag, as in make it spool up at a higher rpm or do you mean it won't use the full potential of the turbo??

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you have the money, go with the APS. They defintely make the nicest fmic for the WRX. If you are tight on money then you can go for a front mount, but in the end I think you might end up wishing you went with an fmic. This was the story of my life, lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
FMIC is harmful to an engine if water temp rises from the lack of airflow. This is very common problem. An upgraded radiator and fan, shroud, as well as consistency in driving speed should be noted. Radiator will not get enough cool air from slow speeds.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I think a TMIC would be fine for a VF34. If you are dead set on a FMIC because of looks, I would say buy a smaller, cheaper FMIC, because you'll just be wasting the money if you buy the biggest, most expensive unit you find (and I'm pretty sure the APS is up there).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't care about looks in that regards. I was asking the question more from a performance perspective than anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fmic is the way to go imo

IMO i have a vf34 with the aps dr650 and the aps does not i reapeat not hurt the car with cooling. what it alows me is to get a consistent 17psi all the way through my power band in all my grers woth teh extra money and tis super stealth :)

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
aps didnt increase any lag when i had it on my stock turbo. if you have the money for it, go for it. better to spend the money now then buy a tm, decide you want to go bigger eventually then have to sell the tm and buy a fm then.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Eli, since you're from the same general area.......I'll ask you. Would a FMIC be more beneficial in central FL due to already hot air temps? I know heatsoak is worse with a TMIC, so I'm wondering if the benefit is that great to get a FMIC in FL (or any area that has is so hot so regularly)

If anyone else has thoughts on this, please reply. I will be upgrading my turbo possibly later this year (when it's cold for a month or 2 :rolleyes: ) and I'm just curious as to what might be best, given my location. I'll prob. stick w/ the Cobb path (VF34) I'm thinking.

·
Registered
982 Posts
When cobb stage 3 comes out it will use a TMIC, I wonder if a smaller FMIC like the Greddy will work?

TheBoostCreep said:
Eli, since you're from the same general area.......I'll ask you. Would a FMIC be more beneficial in central FL due to already hot air temps? I know heatsoak is worse with a TMIC, so I'm wondering if the benefit is that great to get a FMIC in FL (or any area that has is so hot so regularly)

If anyone else has thoughts on this, please reply. I will be upgrading my turbo possibly later this year (when it's cold for a month or 2 :rolleyes: ) and I'm just curious as to what might be best, given my location. I'll prob. stick w/ the Cobb path (VF34) I'm thinking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts