ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking the forums for a while, and I recently stumbled upon something that made my registration mandatory. I've been looking around casually for a WRX for a few months now, mostly because I live in the Great White North and I simply can't afford to have both a fun car and a reliable/weather car (I'm in college, if that sums it up better :tongue:). Anywho, while doing another of my many searches through various car listing sites, I stumbled upon a blue 2002 WRX with 117K miles, with the price listed as $7,990. I almost fell out of my chair, since the KBB value is around $12-13K for the same thing. Obviously I should look into this...but my question is: What do you guys think?

Here's a URL to the car I found:

http://www.carsoup.com/used/detail.asp?usedVehicleID=4496453&XDealerID=2831&MakeID=72&searchID=94384806&vehicleTypeID=1&dealerID=2831&UVViewID=4&Page=3&DealerGroupID=

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive learned, what sounds to good to be true most likely is. im kind of new to Subaru, but from what i hear and what i read, they don't go for to long after the 100k mark. i mean, if you plan to do all kinds of crazy motor upgrades, than i really don't think it matters about miles to much, but if your just looking for something to cruz with or just a little zip, i think you should find something with just a little less miles on it. i mean if your going to spend money on something, make sure its going to last a while. tho im sure there are a couple of 150k+ subies running out there, and i believe that with great care most cars could go forever, i mean i had a 87' Toyota that i saw in to the 200k range, but most people don't put the money or time in to their cars to keep them going until 200k miles, or maybe we all just need to buy toyotas?! WTF?!?!? j/k, just know that you are getting a high mileage car, and know all the risk and work that comes with it. cuz really once you drop a couple of g's in to some minor maintenance it will probably run like a champ!

well just some things to think about good luck with your decision, i was looking for a used subie not to long ago and got a rockin deal on a new 06 wrx they couldn't get off the lot, dont ask me why but no one wanted it, probably cuz it was a wagon and well, when you think wrx, you dont think wagon, but i gatta admit they are freakin sexy!

matt

·
Registered
905 Posts
yep. wagon=teh sex

if a wrx or sti is what you want to get, and youve been doing massive searches, go with your gut and either buy it, or dont. simplistic, i know. like what wagon_guy808 said, take into account you may need additional funds to initially maintain your purchase, and get it into good working order, should anything be amiss. and then dump waaaaaay more money than you ever thought you would, into it. because thats what happens, it seems. if you peruse the forums, you most likely will do some kind of mods. im sure theres a lot of wrx owners that have their car completely stock, and how often would they be seen on a site like this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the responses, guys! I've definitely thought about the mileage, but most of the other one's I've seen near that range have been at least $2-3K higher...at least in the general area where I live. It'd definitely be worth it to me to put in some money for maintenance, that's not a problem, unless it needs a new engine or some massive overhaul kinda thing, I don't have the time or extra cash laying around at the moment for that.

But! You'd be crazy to think she's gonna stay stock forever! :p Like I said, I've been lurking this forum and a couple others and I've seen what beastly creations you guys can come up with, and I'd love to have one to call my own. Guess at this point all I can do is call the dealer and ask about the car, hopefully they'd be generous enough to tell me if there's any major mechanical defects before I drive hundreds of miles to look at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts