Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I asked a question in Car & Drivers forum a few days ago about octane boosts and if they are worth the money. A guy responded "No. Use toluene instead." I looked up toluene in the dictionary and it said: "Highly flamable liquid, used in making TNT". Sure sounds exiting, but I don't really want to be the one to go first. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
well.. what do you think gas is? it's highly flammable isn't it?
i think back in history when they were trying to make a fuel for the car, they'd tried toluene, and although it was very efficient, it was of course unsafe. gas was used as like the 3rd or 4th alternative but back then the octane level really sucked hard boiled eggs.

-- ugh.. don't make me crack open the history books again! RaCinWRX

·
Registered
68 Posts
a little tolulene will help you more than octane booster, and wont hurt your engine. I dont know what the reccommended ratio is, but just dont do what one guy did down here. He put 3/4 tolulene to 1/4 high octane petrol!!!!! It worked a treat, his 0-60mph runs went from 8.0 sec ( I know, slow....) to 6.8 sec (much better) But, he wasn't to happy when he blew his head gasket and his number 3 piston after his third run...:eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts