ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Tokico struts/shocks on their wrx? Preferably a bugeye sedan. I'm doing research on what I should get next and was thinking of maybe getting springs/struts. I know there is KYB and they're generally considered good, but wanted to know about Tokico.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I have not used Tokico for my Subaru, but I did know quite a few folks from the Honda world that used them. If you insist on going the Tokico route, get the Illumina if they are available for your WRX.

I preferred the KYB AGX or the Koni set ups at that time however. I don't think that the AGX is that much more than an Illumina set up. That is probably why I have the KYB AGX's on my wagon now.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I had them on a CRX. They were great. Awesome. Still are - a friend of mine now owns the car. If I was buying shocks for my WRX today, I'd probably get the Tokicos. Not sure which is available now. I had the 5-level adjustable Illuminas on the CRX. That car was incredibly responsive to adjustment - from undriveably tight to undriveably loose. I could - and did - set up the CRX to be a FWD car you could steer with the throttle. Much more range of chassis dynamics than I can get with the Konis on my WRX. I'd even adjust it for changing weather conditions.

C

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm....still trying to decide. Has anyone tried it on their wrx who has also tried the KYB AGXs.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
MOG_22 said:
Hmmm....still trying to decide. Has anyone tried it on their wrx who has also tried the KYB AGXs.
Fact of the matter is that they are both decent products.

I did some checking for you on prices and model numbers for the Tokico:

Tokico Performance shock (I am guessing that these are the blue bodies). The prices I found were around $100-105 each. They are non-adjustable, which you may or may not want.

WRX 02-03 Front: HB3206 HB3208 - - - Rear:HB3207 HB3209

There was no listing for Illuminas and a WRX application.

KYB AGX's will run you slightly more $$(500-ish) for a set. These have 4 levels of adjustability.

Hope this helps you a little more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ive owned Tokico's before, they are okay. I would get the KYB AGX. Or my first choice would be Koni yellows if they make them for the WRX.
They make Koni yellows (inserts)!
No Tokico Illuminas but they have a new DSpec strut with more adjustability but cost of $1k/set. Contact tokico for more info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts