ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright its that time again.. upgrade.. i wanted to know which one is good for some one that does not track or autox the car.. i just want to remove the bouncy feeling the car has now, since i installed the tanabe gf210 springs.. with shipping there is a 180$ difference between the 2.. so if kyb agx is good enough i rather save the 180$ for something else if not than i guess ill go with the tokicos.. any input would be appriciated...

i have read people loving kyb and haiting them for blowing out after one year.. any one using them, i would love your input

·
Registered
386 Posts
What is the rate of your springs? It sounds like the spring rates are to high for struts.
If you have a sedan and your drop is around 1" the AGX should be fine, depening on the spring rates. I have not tried the Tokicos, I run coilovers.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
not a lot of folks have run both, but the few that have seem to lean towards Tokico

N

·
0 Posts
D specs say they are 16 way adjustable..what adjustments can be made? can you adjust ride height? and will they accept after market springs ? i wanna see what options i have for adjusting ride height without buying coil overs...or is coil overs the only way to do thaT?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
16 way for the D specs means 16 clicks of rebound adj in the damper

with the Ground Control sleeves and springs you can convert any oe style strut into a coilover setup- ie height adjustable

oe style aftermarket struts can utilize any oe style springs- their advantage is they offer better damping generally over the oe struts when it comes to firmer aftermarket springs (which also in most cases lower your ride height as well)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
16 way for the D specs means 16 clicks of rebound adj in the damper

with the Ground Control sleeves and springs you can convert any oe style strut into a coilover setup- ie height adjustable

oe style aftermarket struts can utilize any oe style springs- their advantage is they offer better damping generally over the oe struts when it comes to firmer aftermarket springs (which also in most cases lower your ride height as well)

so after all this no one can tell me if its worth it to go tokico vs kyb

N

·
0 Posts
what company sells that ground control sleeve set? and can you use aftermarket springs with em?

·
Registered
93 Posts
so after all this no one can tell me if its worth it to go tokico vs kyb
Either will work fine. IIRC the D-specs are a short strut, meaning that the strut itself is shorter to start with. This will thus add to the "lowering" effect already created by the springs.

SO...to help you decide...consider the foll. :

1) How much adjustability do you really need? (AGX is enough here for most folks).

2) The Tokicos will lower the car a bit further with the same set of springs (subjuect to correction here). Is that what you're looking for?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I've never heard that on the Tokico's- can you point me in the direction where you found that out?

As far as adjustability goes many manufacturers tout 48 way adj, 32 adj etc- this means very little- you really need a dynograh to see what the damper is doing and how wide a range the adjustability is- it's very possible for a four click adj setup to have more range of adj than a 48 click setup.

Two struts w/ roughly the same range of adj- it's often advantageous to have more clicks as then you can fine tune better- w/ a four way adj it's possible that you have to settle for more or less damping than the "sweet" spot your looking for. That said there is a trend among some of the very high end dampers to actually decrease the number of adjustments for the sake of simplicity for the driver- he takes out for a lap or two and knows which way he wants the damping to go- one click and he's effected an substantial change

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either will work fine. IIRC the D-specs are a short strut, meaning that the strut itself is shorter to start with. This will thus add to the "lowering" effect already created by the springs.

SO...to help you decide...consider the foll. :

1) How much adjustability do you really need? (AGX is enough here for most folks).

2) The Tokicos will lower the car a bit further with the same set of springs (subjuect to correction here). Is that what you're looking for?
not anymore than the gf210's have lower, so i am just looking to remove the bouncy effect i got from the oem struts... the only reason i havent bought the AGX is because i have read they blow after a year or so ( some people who have them say they blow after a year) thats why i wanted input on this with people who have these

N

·
0 Posts
I guess for daily driving coil overs arent a needed upgrade, seems like the only advantages for coil overs or adjustable struts is for auto X or racing on a track, which i probably will do but i wont be doing it often. If i had more cash id do auto X and set my car up accordingly but since im just trying to make the car handle and accelerate better for simple street driving. I guess OEM struts and aftermarket lowering springs is all i really need, i still notice a good amount of body roll even with the prodrive springs(it could be my 225/45r17 tires adding a little flex), but im sure some 24mm adjustable sways and endlinks F&R & strut bars F&R would be ideal for stiffening up the suspension while keeping a some what conservative drop.
A poster above mentioned ground control sleeves & springs you can convert oe struts to coil overs, can someone show me where to purchase these items so i can read more about them?? if i can understand this system better, this is a kit that attatches to your stock struts and springs that allow you to adjust the ride height like a coil over system? what company makes this and do they have a web site?? and is this system expensive? or hard to install?? this sounds really ideal if its cost effective and reliable, if not ill just stick to the stock struts, prodrive springs and work on the other suspension components. The sti aluminum a arms look like a really nice addition, can that part be slapped into an 06 wrx?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
the ground control sleeves are for oe STYLE struts- not oe struts- oe struts don't have sufficient damping for the higher rate springs- Koni, AGX, Tokico are all likely candidates for the GC conversion

more info here:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/index.php

You need to do a lot of homework w/ this kit- picking the right spring rates, the right length of springs, etc are paramount in them working correctly

they do work, lots of guys successfully run them- just lots of up front "work"

·
Registered
93 Posts
not anymore than the gf210's have lower, so i am just looking to remove the bouncy effect i got from the oem struts... the only reason i havent bought the AGX is because i have read they blow after a year or so ( some people who have them say they blow after a year) thats why i wanted input on this with people who have these
Oh ho.

Well I find it kinda hard to believe that AGX's get busted up so easily. They're pretty beefy.....and alot of folks use them.

Sky....as for the lowering I was referring to...I made a mistake there. I checked out the Tokico "strut kit" for the WRX...which lowers by 1"....not realising that it's also shipped with a set of springs.

The struts alone won't lower your car. :p

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess for daily driving coil overs arent a needed upgrade, seems like the only advantages for coil overs or adjustable struts is for auto X or racing on a track, which i probably will do but i wont be doing it often. If i had more cash id do auto X and set my car up accordingly but since im just trying to make the car handle and accelerate better for simple street driving. I guess OEM struts and aftermarket lowering springs is all i really need, i still notice a good amount of body roll even with the prodrive springs(it could be my 225/45r17 tires adding a little flex), but im sure some 24mm adjustable sways and endlinks F&R & strut bars F&R would be ideal for stiffening up the suspension while keeping a some what conservative drop.
A poster above mentioned ground control sleeves & springs you can convert oe struts to coil overs, can someone show me where to purchase these items so i can read more about them?? if i can understand this system better, this is a kit that attatches to your stock struts and springs that allow you to adjuthet the ride height like a coil over system? what company makes this and do they have a web site?? and is this system expensive? or hard to install?? this sounds really ideal if its cost effective and reliable, if not ill just stick to the stock struts, prodrive springs and work on the other suspension components. The sti aluminum a arms look like a really nice addition, can that part be slapped into an 06 wrx?

i dont know if you have installed your springs yet but if you havent trust me the oem struts wont do, why because since i installed the tanabe's the car has become bouncy, and some times it feels worst than the original setup.. thats why i wanted to get after market struts ( kyb agx or tokico)
my .02c

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Sky....as for the lowering I was referring to...I made a mistake there. I checked out the Tokico "strut kit" for the WRX...which lowers by 1"....not realising that it's also shipped with a set of springs.

The struts alone won't lower your car. :p
OK - usually I hear about that kind of thing so was wondering :)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I got the impression from NASIOC that the D-specs were more comparable to the Koni inserts, both being better than the AGX. The information claims that they adjust both rebound and compression. I was leaning toward them because the roads are pretty rough around here and they are supposed to be very durable in those conditions. Plus its cheaper and no inserting.

Here is the little chart - their website seems broken right now to get to the details:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the impression from NASIOC that the D-specs were more comparable to the Koni inserts, both being better than the AGX. The information claims that they adjust both rebound and compression. I was leaning toward them because the roads are pretty rough around here and they are supposed to be very durable in those conditions. Plus its cheaper and no inserting.

Here is the little chart - their website seems broken right now to get to the details:

yeah so do kyb agx.. but alot of people say they are obsolete and few say they blow after a year... the price difference is only around 150$ so i guess might as well go with tokico since no one seems to be able to tell me how the kyb agx is.. like i said before i dont track or autox, and its only to remove the bouncy feeling with better handling for the DD, i live in montreal and having a nice road to drive on is a rare thing to find soo i need something durable

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
yeah so do kyb agx.. but alot of people say they are obsolete and few say they blow after a year... the price difference is only around 150$ so i guess might as well go with tokico since no one seems to be able to tell me how the kyb agx is.. like i said before i dont track or autox, and its only to remove the bouncy feeling with better handling for the DD, i live in montreal and having a nice road to drive on is a rare thing to find soo i need something durable
One thread I recall mentioned someone jumping with the D-spec braced, and I saw several that mentioned they hold up very well.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Well I think I came across the same ideas somewhere...but for the life of me I can't find it...... :mad:

Anyways, durability in the rough should centre around:

1) Superior valving (that's the weak point in most struts. Koni's the best here....supposedly...ask BigSkyWRX).

2) Damping - nothing too stiff, as that's gonna put more stress on your car's frame. Figure out what the range of damping is for the D-specs and AGX's vs. stock.

IIRC the softest AGX setting is a little below/at stock damping rates?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts