Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· In Æternum
23,705 Posts
No, it's not possible.

Well, certainly not within a reasonable budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't work like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I've read you can weld the center diff, and it would make your car a RWD car. Is there any risks with that? If not you could just buy a stock center diff, weld it, and when you want rear wheel drive, switch it with your stock diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,791 Posts
It's going to mess the tempering up on anything that gets hot making it weaker and likely more brittle. You would also have to remove the front diff, the driveshaft, and the half shafts. It's about the most ghetto mod you could do, people used to do it all the time in jeeps and the diff's failed a lot.

I mean you could do that but I doubt that much effort would be woth wasting time. It's not a minor undertaking. I know a guy who has a welded diff in his race car to lock it, it works, for now.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's going to mess the tempering up on anything that gets hot making it weaker and likely more brittle. You would also have to remove the front diff, the driveshaft, and the half shafts. It's about the most ghetto mod you could do, people used to do it all the time in jeeps and the diff's failed a lot.

I mean you could do that but I doubt that much effort would be woth wasting time. It's not a minor undertaking. I know a guy who has a welded diff in his race car to lock it, it works, for now.

I thought it would be good for drifting, because then you wouldn't have such a hard time loosing traction.

· In Æternum
23,705 Posts
You are a ridiculous person.

Read my damn post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I've read you can weld the center diff, and it would make your car a RWD car. Is there any risks with that? If not you could just buy a stock center diff, weld it, and when you want rear wheel drive, switch it with your stock diff.

It's a lot of work to swap everything over.. then if you drive it hard you'll break the rear diff and/or axles since they're getting A LOT more strain than usual. Then there's the fact that the WRX is so nose heavy it handles horribly as a RWD vehicle.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,791 Posts
I thought it would be good for drifting, because then you wouldn't have such a hard time loosing traction.

You wouldn't have enough control. The mistake with drifting is "losing traction" you still have traction, if you lost it your rear end would just flail around wildly.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You wouldn't have enough control. The mistake with drifting is "losing traction" you still have traction, if you lost it your rear end would just flail around wildly.

Drifting is controlling the loss of traction. Your rear wheels don't have traction. Your using the momentum, and weight of the car. You also use your front tires as guides. That's why I don't like AWD drifting, it's not drifting, it's power sliding.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.