ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, according the weather.com, the next 10 days are going to be warm for my area.

BUT, I know that meteorologists are full of **** and have no clue what they are talking about at least 85% of the time. I also know that it is common for it to warm up for a week or two, then dump more snow.

However, it has been an oddly anti-winter year.

And I know that with my luck, it will snow two days after I change my wheels tot he summer setup.

What would you guys do?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
I'd get a beer and watch TV.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get a beer, then drive in the snow with summers for exercise....check

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
You're going from Winter to Summer right? If so then yeah I'd change them. It will give you a chance to clean up the wheel well area if nothing else. You can always change them back :)

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I would wait. You can drive winters in summer condition. You can't drive summers in winter conditions. I will be waiting until drag racing season starts to change mine.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What do you call a meteorologist with half a brain? Gifted...

That said, do you have separate wheel/tire setups? If so, switch to summers. If you have to mount/balance, I'd wait, for this reason:
rage-wrx said:
If you change your tires & it doesn't snow ,great.If it does, the extra exercise never hurt anyone.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm basically trying to decide if I want to lug the summer wheels out of the basement tomorrow/Monday or wait till mid-April.

Since the weather is getting warmer, I am getting tired of driving like an old man.....I don't mind in the winter, cause the roads suck, are either ice/snow/slush coverd, wet, or covered with rock salt/gravel/sand due to snow treatment. But with how mild this winter has been, and it now warming up, I'm ready for some spirited driving :pwrmad: Being on dry pavement and either downshifting or running it up the RPM scale causes the winters to break loose, resulting in traction control stepping in.

I do have separate setups, so the change would not be an issue.....unless it was 50 when I went to bed, and snow when I wake up....changing them before work would blow.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
I do have separate setups, so the change would not be an issue.....unless it was 50 when I went to bed, and snow when I wake up....changing them before work would blow.
It only takes me 15 minutes to swap all four corners. I wake up early, so I'd have more than enough time to do the swap, if needed.

Sinister said:
You can drive winters in summer condition.
I drove to FL (WPB) a few years ago to visit my sister, and used my winter tires. Down there, everything is U-Turns. Every time, it sounded like I was driving like an asshat - tires would squeel like a pig.

I'm glad I had them on my way home, however, because we hit an ice storm and I'd have been stuck in PA for a few days with my RT-615s.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, If I had a garage, swap would be 10-20 (depending on how awake I was). But I live in an apartment, so I would have to go to the basement and get them from my storage cage, take them up 2 flights of stairs, back down two flights, swap the wheels, then return the winters to the cage, so you are looking more like 45 minutes and sweating profusely due to lugging the wheels to and from storage.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
yeah, If I had a garage, swap would be 10-20 (depending on how awake I was). But I live in an apartment, so I would have to go to the basement and get them from my storage cage, take them up 2 flights of stairs, back down two flights, swap the wheels, then return the winters to the cage, so you are looking more like 45 minutes and sweating profusely due to lugging the wheels to and from storage.
Roger.

My garage is strictly storage (can't fit a car in there), but at least I don't have to deal with stairs when swapping wheels.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm basically trying to decide if I want to lug the summer wheels out of the basement tomorrow/Monday or wait till mid-April.

Since the weather is getting warmer, I am getting tired of driving like an old man.....I don't mind in the winter, cause the roads suck, are either ice/snow/slush coverd, wet, or covered with rock salt/gravel/sand due to snow treatment. But with how mild this winter has been, and it now warming up, I'm ready for some spirited driving :pwrmad: Being on dry pavement and either downshifting or running it up the RPM scale causes the winters to break loose, resulting in traction control stepping in.

Better safe than sorry in my book, but then again if I switch to summers too early, I'm looking at never making it home and getting stranded in the mountains. My winters stay on until May.

Sounds like you need to invest in some quality winter tires next time around. Too many people say "Can't wait to get my summers on so I can actually DRIVE the car!" With good quality winter tires, you can drive it hard year-round. Dunlop Winter Sports FTW. 15 winters, a half dozen cars, and a few hundred thousand miles and counting on them. I've been ripping it up with them lately on the cold but dry pavement up here and they stick like buttah.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah im in a similar area to you, ive been debating if i should change mine or not, but this weather has been so back and forth

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
Sounds like you need to invest in some quality winter tires next time around. Too many people say "Can't wait to get my summers on so I can actually DRIVE the car!" With good quality winter tires, you can drive it hard year-round. Dunlop Winter Sports FTW. 15 winters, a half dozen cars, and a few hundred thousand miles and counting on them. I've been ripping it up with them lately on the cold but dry pavement up here and they stick like buttah.
On any normal year (where we have more than 1.5' of snow), I'll take my Hakkapeliitta 7s over the Dunlops any day...

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have quality winter tires....in fact I have one of the best winter tires made.....they just are not winter performance tires, they are snow tires.

The last few winters we have been hit with some pretty good blasts of snow that the road crews couldn't keep up with, so I got snow tires.

I realize you get more snow up at 8000', but your road crews are better as well, so you could get by with performance tires. If you had Pittsburgh's road crews up there, you would need half trax.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Wait. At least a couple more weeks.

Keep in mind summer tires do not grip well below 40 degrees. You (and I) will surely see early mornings below freezing for a month or so.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On any normal year (where we have more than 1.5' of snow), I'll take my Hakkapeliitta 7s over the Dunlops any day...
How are the 7s? I got the Hakkapeliitta R (studless) and absolutely loved them the 10 days there was snow.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait. At least a couple more weeks.

Keep in mind summer tires do not grip well below 40 degrees. You (and I) will surely see early mornings below freezing for a month or so.
Yeah, and the other thought to cross my mind was that last year we had a snow day in May......but then again, there have only been like 10 days with snow this winter.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
How are the 7s? I got the Hakkapeliitta R (studless) and absolutely loved them the 10 days there was snow.
Depends on the conditions. The studs are phenomenal on ice, but a hindrance on dry roads; my Blizzaks were better on dry roads in the winter.

My driveway is often a nightmare in winter. We usually get a lot of ice, which requires 300-400 lbs of salt per application. I've done the studless winters (Blizzaks), and after a year or two, they are mediocre. The studless Hakkapeliitta tires on the van aren't great on my driveway, but the 5s/7s on the Subaru and the Blazer are great. For regular snow conditions, the studless tires are very good.

When the temperatures drop, I'm not concerned with the performance aspect of my car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts