ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight i got all excited and jumped the gun, instead of asking first. So i painted my tmic guide coat black then used a sti stencil i made, and krylon red. My ? is can i hurt anything as far as blocking air and if it does, will the water temp rise. 2nd will this appose any fire hazzards.

Thanks to all who help others out it is a great community

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I think your alright, paint is known to hold heat in more tho...

I am sure this thread will get moved tho to engine performance.

·
Registered
0 Posts
you should be ok but might of wanted to ask what kinda of paint would of been best...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tonight i got all excited and jumped the gun, instead of asking first. So i painted my tmic guide coat black then used a sti stencil i made, and krylon red. My ? is can i hurt anything as far as blocking air and if it does, will the water temp rise. 2nd will this appose any fire hazzards.

Thanks to all who help others out it is a great community
IIRC, so long as you didn't block any IC fins with paint, you won't block any air. As for water temps....are you sure you painted your intercooler and not your radiator? Intercooler does not "directly" affect water temps, as it only cools the charge air before it enters the combustion chamber. No coolant flows through the intercooler.

Randy

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I hope someone can tell the difference between a TOP mount intercooler and the radiator in the front of a car...

Your water temps shouldn't be affected at all.

As for a painted TMIC, I bought an SSAC larger TMIC off a buddy on the forums and painted it black myself. I used High test engine paint made by Duplicolor and it even says on the website that it promotes dissipation of heat, so I went with it. It came out looking great and I haven't had any adverse affects...I have since been protuned with it and produced excellent numbers. It still feels cool to the touch as well. So I'm overall happy with it:cool:

However, there was a huge debate with it when I made my thread about it...so the controversy will always loom. I want to get pre and post IC temp gauges eventually to see how well my IC is working though...

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Your fine, Pics?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts