ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i want to buy a tmic on my02 wrx i was thinking about getting an fmic but apparently they create turbo lag and its too much hassal too put on so i was thinking about getting this tmic:
HTML:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/02-06-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-TOP-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-Y-PIPE-KIT-/130581912567?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6749dbf7#ht_3098wt_1159
1. Is this bigger than the original?

2.will it make a difference in power, cooling and turbo whistle?

3.will it fit straight on?

4.is it worth the money?

My mods to my car is :

3" inch turbo back blitz nur exhaust system with varex cannon

exedy lightened flywheel with exedy stage 2 heavy duty clutch

turbosmart boost controller (not sure what boost its running due to no boost gauge it came with the car i have not touched it and i know its not stock boost because it spools quick and pulls hard compare to a stock wrx)

K&N OEM replacement filter with silncer delete

thanks in advance

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
It could possibly make a power difference giving the tuner the ability to safely run higher boost but I think at this point your spending your money stupidly. You have a turbo back exhaust and a k&n panel filter.. while it is ok to run for a short amount of time on an 02-03 without proper engine management in that way it is not ideal.. The other bad decision is the boost controller. Purchase an up pipe and get the car on a dyno to be tuned properly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx for the reply but i have only had this car for about 3 weeks and the mbc and exhaust were arleady on there and the car gets good mpg and has great power with hardly any lag im not sure this car could have been previously tuned, i am not sure it might have an aftermarket up pipe i have not checked that so what do you think should i buy it? what do you mean by engine managment?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thank i would love to get it tuned but its big dollars is there a cheaper method of tunning??

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
you are looking at roughly $400 for a pro tune.. You really should at least go down and talk with a tuner, at least pay them to pull the current map thats on it.. You may not need a tune, but my guess is you do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got qouted $1450 for ecutek dyno and tune?? can you give more explaination of a pro tune? sorry abit noobie when it comes to electronic tunning

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
1450 for an ecutek, dyno time and tune.. where are you located? You are wanting to either source a cobb accessport or just do it open source.. I prefer open source tuning because you dont have to purchase a controler that will sit in a box 99% of the time for 595 dollars.. Typical open source tune will run you 400

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
i got qouted $1450 for ecutek dyno and tune?? can you give more explaination of a pro tune? sorry abit noobie when it comes to electronic tunning
A protune is simply a professional tuner rewriting the ECU. Most of them can tune via open source which is the cheapest route as there is no additional cost over the tune. You don't need ecutek just simply an open source protune

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was thinking about buying an access port but im in australia and i dont think it works in australia :(

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Like everyone said, get it tuned. Its hard for us to give you advice as to where to go because we're mostly in North America.

Also if you're going to get an Top Mount, at least get one from a reputable company so you know it fits properly. We sell various brands and ship worldwide as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well ok thanks foor the advice and for me to get open source tunning its going to cost $1100 so i might as well go with ecutek

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Like everyone said, get it tuned. Its hard for us to give you advice as to where to go because we're mostly in North America.

Also if you're going to get an Top Mount, at least get one from a reputable company so you know it fits properly. We sell various brands and ship worldwide as well.
right from a performance vendors mouth..

good luck man, lots of great info on this site. Read and have fun, welcome to the forum.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
sxcrxy said:
well ok thanks foor the advice and for me to get open source tunning its going to cost $1100 so i might as well go with ecutek
Do you have a laptop? If so, you can purchase a Tactrix cable and get tuned remotely. A tuner will send you a base map and ask you to take datalogs. Based on the datalogs you return to them, they will adjust the map accordingly and send you a new revision. This process repeats until you / the tuner is happy. This would be much cheaper than the $1100 you've been quoted already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Guys!!!!
i have a 2007 wrx limited and i would like to change my TMIC and wanna go to a 2016 Sti One, i just want to know if it will fit?? or if someone already try tis setup?
thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts