ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the stock turbo and intercooler which is a top mount. If I convert it to a front mount will I acheive any more HP? I was contemplating a large turbo later down the road then I heard that a FMIC is more efficient since ur drawing more air. The FMIC just seems like alotta extra piping when the top mount is efficient enough. Just looking for other POV's on this subject and what others feel. Btw for info purpose I have a 03 Wrx turbo back w/ hi flow cat, Cobb accessPort and intake.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
A FMIC can be tuned more aggressively than a TMIC, which should net you more power, at the loss of some response. With smaller turbos, response is a major benefit, so my opinion is that it's counterproductive. Also, any FMIC worth anything will require you to remove a structural component (front crash beam), which could cause issues with your insurance company down the road in the case of an accident.

To see a gain from either, you're going to need a custom reflash, so factor in that cost as well.

I would stay TMIC until it's insufficient, personally, and spend money on a turbo blanket / exhaust heat wrap.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
EJ257 speaks the truth.

Its really all about cooling and what is necessary. There are nice top mount intercoolers out there so you don't have to spend a ton of money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I just didnt see to many benefits of a FMIC. Seems like too much work and not enuff outcome. As far as the flashing goes my shop that I go to (mann-engineering.com) Subaru is there main and only focus. And they do an exceptional job at tuning among everything else there. Yes I may pay a little more but these guys treat mine and every other car that goes in there like it's there own and won't let the car leave the shop till they are completely satisfied with the outcome. Thanks for ur input I like to see what others feel. Sometimes others see points u wouldn't realize or look over. Thanks again. Oh yea remove a crash beam not worth any amount of hp gains.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Dabiznas408 said:
As far as the flashing goes my shop that I go to (mann-engineering.com) Subaru is there main and only focus. And they do an exceptional job at tuning among everything else there. Yes I may pay a little more but these guys treat mine and every other car that goes in there like it's there own and won't let the car leave the shop till they are completely satisfied with the outcome.
I haven't heard anything about them until now :shrug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts