ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Orem, Utah and I'm looking into getting new tires. I was wondering if I should do summer and winter tires or just all-season tires. Is it really worth it to have both or should the all-weathers be fine?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I personally prefer to have a specific set of summers/winters.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
I'm a fan of having the two sets, assuming you have the space to store them. After the initial purchase of the second set, the overall life of each set will seem longer as they split time on your car over the coming years. Good summer tires are a great fit with the handling of our cars, and real winter tires beat A/S tires every which way in the slippery stuff. A/S's are a compromise tire, and if you like pushing your car you will be happier with two sets of tires better suited to the seasons than not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in Orem, Utah and I'm looking into getting new tires. I was wondering if I should do summer and winter tires or just all-season tires. Is it really worth it to have both or should the all-weathers be fine?
The general consensus on every WRX board is that All-Season tires are "No Season" tires. I had an '08 WRX that came with the stock All-Season tires and they were great the first winter I had them, but then we had a blizzard the next winter and the tires were worn down causing me to slide into a snowbank and through stop signs at low speeds. I did separate wheels with winter tires on my '11 since you absolutely can't use the stock summers in the winter but this winter was so mild I didn't really get to use them much.

Judging from your profile you have a 2012 so you have stock summer tires. Since it's such a pain to remount new tires every time you switch, you should probably consider a new set of wheels, and if you're going that far you might as well do winter tires instead of all-seasons. I'm not sure what the weather is like in your Utah area, but if it's anything more than mild snow you will thank yourself later for going with winter tires.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Like Chris eluded to, if you can swing the $$ of two sets of wheels/tires, and have a place to store them, dedicated is better.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been persuaded. Where would you recommend buying the tires from? What winter tires?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
bz24 said:
What winter tires?
It depends what you want out of them. I run studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7s, since I typically deal with quite a bit of snow/ice, and roads that aren't always maintained the best. Not everyone wants to drop ~$1000 on a set of tires, though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I actually have a set of wheels with summer tires, and a set with AS, since even in the winter I spend more
time driving on dry roads than in snow. I'm satisfied with the snow performance of my AS, and I've driven them in pretty sketchy conditions. You have to know how to use the throttle to steer the car, though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been persuaded. Where would you recommend buying the tires from? What winter tires?
On the cheap end there are Firestone Winterforce and General Altimax Arctic (I have the latter). On the more expensive end there are Bridgestone Blizzaks and a few others. The more expensive tires tend to be more performance based for dry winter roads, and also tend to have shorter lifespans.

Tirerack.com is a good place to research (and possibly even buy). I ended up getting mine at a local shop just because with shipping it ended up costing about the same. If you check the tire forum on here or NASIOC you'll find tons of info.

Another thing to note is that the majority of people go with smaller wheels for their winter tires, mostly to reduce costs. I got a set of 16" Legacy GT wheels for about $225. It almost cut the cost of tires in half.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I actually have a set of wheels with summer tires, and a set with AS, since even in the winter I spend more
time driving on dry roads than in snow. I'm satisfied with the snow performance of my AS, and I've driven them in pretty sketchy conditions. You have to know how to use the throttle to steer the car, though.
The problem with that is stopping. I generally feel fine with the snow performance of AS tires with the AWD for driving around and such, but they just plain suck at stopping. I have Blizzak tires for the winter and the stopping ability is superb.

Not to mention that if you can afford the initial investment, it really isn't any more expensive to have separate sets. You spend twice as much up front, but each set lasts twice as long. Same overall cost with greatly improved performance.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Got A/S tires on my Wagon, fun breaking traction on dry CA roads =)
That, and I can pass 99% of all drivers on 2 lane on ramps. My passengers just hate it.

Wiki says Orem is at 4,774 ft. So you probably do get snow. How much I dunno. A/S might be enough for you.
For me A/S tires are a must. Even in sunny CA. I have a bad habit of randomly going off road mid-week. And there are reason why some tires are not M/S rated tires.
It depends what you use your car for man.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Tires are good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blizzaks from Discount Tire are always dependable. Any suggestions out there for better summer tires than the Dunlops furnished on the Rex?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
daddyb said:
Blizzaks from Discount Tire are always dependable.
Blizzaks are a great tire for the first winter or two. When the tread starts getting down to ~50%, they turn into meh tires. I've run Blizzaks for years, have made the switch to Nokian, and I won't go back.

daddyb said:
Any suggestions out there for better summer tires than the Dunlops furnished on the Rex?
Budget and use?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome fellow Utahn-er

+1 to everything everyone said about having a dedicated winter and summer setup. Also, +1 on that Blizzaks are great, but only for the first season or two.

For winters I would highly recommend Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's if you can afford them. Although we had a very mild winter this last year I did take my WRX out for fun a few times when it did snow. The dunlops were absolutely perfect in just about every way, and since they are performance tires, they've been great on the dry roads as well.

One other item to mention for a winter setup.. 16" Elbrus I03 wheels look very stock-like for a WRX, and are rather cheap. You can see them on tirerack.com

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Dramlin said:
For winters I would highly recommend Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's if you can afford them. Although we had a very mild winter this last year I did take my WRX out for fun a few times when it did snow. The dunlops were absolutely perfect in just about every way, and since they are performance tires, they've been great on the dry roads as well.
For someone not going to see much ice and a moderate amount of snow, the WS3Ds are a good option; I'd run them on my car, but I feel better with non-performance tires for my conditions. A typical rock salt application on my driveway is 320-400lbs (hence, the studded tires). I lose 10-15mph on the off-ramp curve I take heading home from work running the Nokians vs my summer tires, but when the bad weather hits, I'm glad I bought them over other options.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Put me down also in support of the Dunlops. They have been great in the bad stuff, but definitely hold up their end of the performance envelope as well. I stuck with stock size instead of downsizing as I did not want to give up much handling, and it also maintains the look better. If you can swing a set of wheels you like it's also nice being able to change the look of your car twice a year. My avatar has my winters (a affordable set from Tire Rack), and my summers stayed on the stock wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What was Subaru thinking putting summer tires on an AWD being sold in areas that have snow?

Just wanted to add to this. Has anyone ran Continental Extreme DWS on there cars?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
They put summer tires on the car because these are enthusiast cars, and all seasons are called that because they're crappy in all seasons. Having dedicated summer and winter tires is the only way to go on an enthusiast car.

I've been running Dunlop Winter Sport tires on many of my cars for over 10 years now and don't have any plans to change to anything else. Awesome snow performance, and awesome dry pavement performance in cold temps too. I bought a set of 18" Enkei Imola wheels from Tire Rack with them already mounted for free and it ran me about $1600 shipped I think. By the time you pay for mounting and balancing twice a year to swap summer and winter tires back and forth, within 3 years the rims pay for themselves. Plus you have the convenience of swapping in your own driveway in 20 minutes instead of spending hours at a tire store twice a year.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have Conti Extreme DWS on my winter wheels. I'm happy with the winter handling. On dry roads, the handling is noticeably worse than the OEM tires, but part of that is probably because I also down sized the wheels.

I've had a problem getting the tires balanced properly, but I'm not sure of the cause. When they arrived from TireRack, they were badly out of balance. They payed for me to take them some place local, but the balance is still not right, so I need to take them back. It could be a problem with the wheels, though.

The reason they sell the cars with summer tires is that you would be pretty disappointed if you test drove the car with AS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts