Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at rims for my rex, which should be here in a week or so :D , and I'm pretty sure i'll end up with 17" prodrives. (haven't decided color but I like the p7s). I'm looking to get tires that will be good for dry conditions, but also good in rain. Anybody have a great experience with one over another?

(sorry if this is another repeat of a question, other questions seemed to be about width and crap)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
The two tires you'll probably see mentioned the most when discussing high performance in wet and dry are the Bridgestone SO3 and the Toyo T1S. I can't comment on the SO3 except to say their owners seem to be very satisified w/ the tire. I can comment on the T1S. It is a light tire (moving up to 225 width from the 205 RE92 still saved me 1/2 lb per tire). It also has a very stiff sidewall, = good performance. It performs great in wet or dry. Not in snow though, I had to take mine off as we got a recent dump of 12"s of the stuff. Spring will never come:( .

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
tan,

How are the TA KD's in the wet? What's the (W) stand for? I have heard the TA's have very high tread ware ratings- any idea how high?

Thanks

Big Sky

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Big Sky,

The G-force are available in W and Y-rated form. Only Z-rated tires are stickier, which allows for higher cornering speeds and lateral grip at the expense of treadwear.

-Jim

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Platinum,

Doh! (hitting self on forehead) I should have figured out speed rating.

Thanks.

Still want to know how they handle in wet, have heard good things about them in dry.

Big Sky

·
1,911 Posts
I'm going for Toyo T1-S's myself. I used to have Yoko AVS Sports which I loved but they are SUPER expensive in 225/40R18 as oppossed to the 225/45R17 I used last year. Chickencow, may want to look for some forged wheels instead. Those Prodrives weigh a ton!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The W stands for wet, its not a speed rating.
The K = Key features
KD = Dry
KDW = Dry/wet
KDWS = Dry/wet/snow

I looked into the G-force tires, but went with RE730's. Great tire and excellent in the rain!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Light and strong- SSR compettions ~ 13 lbs, ~$375; Volk TE37 ~13.5 lbs, ~ $450. Both available in gunmetal.

Couldn't go wrong w/ either.

Big Sky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts