ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires do you guys think would be best for an almost all season setup? I'm looking at Eagle GT's but don't wanna just get the 1st ones I see that are a decent price. I really don't wanna go above $850 total but that's slightly negotiable. I have 215/45R17 and need V rated tires according to the door tag for that option size tire... any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
Define "almost all season" please.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much all season. I have snows on there now but I don't really think they'll make another season after just looking at them... so I guess an All Season Setup is in order....

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
Continental, Pirelli, Kumho ultra-high performance all seasons in order of decreasing cost. Look for that specific category at Tire Rack and see the tests, not the reviews.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have the GTs on my WRX right now.
They're good tires, I remember them being top 5 on some NASIOC thread. Decent in snow, and manageable on ice if driven very responsibly.

Biggest con is that your passengers will hate you. Stiff ass sidewalls, responsive but makes the ride even harsher. And their aggressive thread pattern makes them pretty noisy.

I took 'em from sunny SoCal to a snow resort, just skid once half way down where the rain froze and hadn't been plowed.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You would be better off with a summer set and winter set. All season tires have decent grip in the dry and wet but you will not get anywhere near the performance that you would with true summers and true winters

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
All seasons are called that because they're mediocre at best in all seasons. Is money really that limiting?

I have the GTs on my WRX right now.
They're good tires, I remember them being top 5 on some NASIOC thread. Decent in snow, and manageable on ice if driven very responsibly.

Biggest con is that your passengers will hate you. Stiff ass sidewalls, responsive but makes the ride even harsher. And their aggressive thread pattern makes them pretty noisy.

I took 'em from sunny SoCal to a snow resort, just skid once half way down where the rain froze and hadn't been plowed.
Nothing is "decent" on ice. Not even snow chains. Even the best snow tires can be poor on some snow conditions, especially those found in Rockies. For the OP in the area of NY he's in, even decent snow tires will do just fine 99.99% of the time on snow. On ice they'll suck like everything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts