Subaru WRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing a track day at High Plains Raceway 1/14.

high of the day is forecasted 42*...thats the HIGH. average is 14*

I'm thinking about keeping on my Michelin AS 3+s.

Thoughts? They did pretty well in Auto-x once they were warmed up and I'm really thinking with temperatures that if I mounted my summers on, the cold summer tires driving to and from would be sketch and not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
For a full on track day? I'd never use A/S. Summer tires will warm up plenty on a track.

Contact the track people.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually look what I just read in "ultimate speed secrets" by Ross Bentley.

How interesting

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
Actually look what I just read in "ultimate speed secrets" by Ross Bentley.

How interesting

OK, in this case he is likely talking about newbs dropping cash on Hoosier slicks. By no means is this a justification to be an ignorant and dangerous **** out on a track with All Season tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
Don't be an idiot.

All seasons don't belong anywhere on a track.

Reactions: Jbravo_AK

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, I think it would be more dangerous traveling to the track on summers then it would driving in the track with all seasons.

I'm not new to the track game or tire feel. Tires don't just immediately get greasy. If I feel the tires significantly lose handling, I'll back off and either end the day or slim down the sessions.

I just don't think I can justify the cost if mounting the summers, the danger of riding over in 20° weather on summers, in lieu of some good seat time on the track.

There specific skills I want to work on such as rev matching and using the whole track/unwinding the wheel as quick as possible. I'm not setting track records or racing...after all, nobody wins practice :)

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
MotoSteve said:
Thoughts? They did pretty well in Auto-x once they were warmed up
A 30-60 second Auto-X course is completely different than an HPDE event. As others have said, A/S tires have no business on a race track.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest, I think it would be more dangerous traveling to the track on summers then it would driving in the track with all seasons.

I'm not new to the track game or tire feel. Tires don't just immediately get greasy. If I feel the tires significantly lose handling, I'll back off and either end the day or slim down the sessions.

I just don't think I can justify the cost if mounting the summers, the danger of riding over in 20° weather on summers, in lieu of some good seat time on the track.

There specific skills I want to work on such as rev matching and using the whole track/unwinding the wheel as quick as possible. I'm not setting track records or racing...after all, nobody wins practice :)

I'd like to add that my ASs are Michelin AS3+s, which compare in dry grip to moderate summer tires. They arent your typical cheap junky ASs

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
When talking about any AS tire and HPDE, AS are junk

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
All seasons are not made to perform at the temperatures and stresses of a track event. You would be out of your mind to use them for track days. You think brake fade sucks just wait until that tire is outside of it's safe opperating temperature and you have poor braking and cornering.

Get a set of tires for the track find a decent set of light wheels and just put them on at the event.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
I'd like to add that my ASs are Michelin AS3+s, which compare in dry grip to moderate summer tires. They arent your typical cheap junky ASs

I'd like to elaborate on my comment. Summer tires like Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which are a great summer road performance tire) shouldn't be used for HPDE events, but aren't completely inadequate like ANY A/S tire would be. You need to step into the 200-treadwear level tire (or less) if you want to be able to double-duty your tires.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jury is out, I listened to the advice and contacted the track general manager.

He said I'll be fine.

Remember, I'm not trying to win practice or set records. Just have some good fun.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
I really see no reason to leave this dumpster fire open.

Do what you want Steve. You always seem to do that and only that.

Reactions: Lynnpie
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.