Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey WRXers,

I plan on purchasing a set of All Season tires for the winter to swap the OEM Dunlop's on my 2017 WRX for the winter. I live in Boston and will be doing a lot of commuting to work so I have crossed out possible Winter Tires as an option because of possible overuse and wear. Any one have any suggestions on a good Brand/Model AS tire? I was thinking maybe the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 245/40ZR18. Any other recommendations or reviews on this tire?

Thanks peeps,

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
I'd skip the all seasons. You're going to have two sets of tires anyway. Get some Nokians.

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Your not going to "over use" winter tires

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any Nokians in particular that would you reccommend?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
If you have a fair amount freezing rain, take a look at the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's. They are rated the best studded tires in the world and yet do a lot less road damage than most (they have temperature sentsitve cushions under the base of each stud). A good reason for their incredible ice and snow ability is that each tire has 200 studs, not the typical 100 per tire -- and Nokian studs are a different shape than most.

If you do not need true winter tires, you are on the right track with the Michelin A/S 3 +'s. While the 3 was a terrific tire, these are significantly better than them. I just put a set of the A/S 3+'s on my wife's new, front wheel drive Mazda 3 GT.

Personally, having lived in and around Boston for over a decade, I would go with two sets of tires -- still using the Nokian Hakka 8's as your winters.

·
Registered
550 Posts
To answer your question . . . Michelins are pretty highly rated in whatever type of tire you go with.

That said . . . I too am confused by the "over use" and "wear" mention. Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but you should find that winter tires wear pretty well . . . especially since you will only be using them for maybe half of the year which saves wear and tear on your other tires.

If by "over use" you mean "over kill" . . . as in you don't think the winter or road conditions merit a dedicated snow tire . . . only you can truly say whether this is true or not. I know generally the State up here does a good job of clearing the road and most are snow and ice free a day or so after a big storm . . . but when I am coming home in the midst of a big snow storm there truly is no replacement for a dedicated snow tire to power through the slippery stuff.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey WRXers,

I plan on purchasing a set of All Season tires for the winter to swap the OEM Dunlop's on my 2017 WRX for the winter. I live in Boston and will be doing a lot of commuting to work so I have crossed out possible Winter Tires as an option because of possible overuse and wear. Any one have any suggestions on a good Brand/Model AS tire? I was thinking maybe the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 245/40ZR18. Any other recommendations or reviews on this tire?

Thanks peeps,
I live an hour north of you and run General Altimax arctics in the winter and Pilot Super Sports in the summer., I drive for a living at least a 100 miles a day and they last me two seasons. If they are unavailable I get the Hancook version they have the same tread pattern. I was able to drive in the storms last year where most places were closed all day because of winter emergencies. If you get stuck at work through a snow storm you will regret not having snow tires for the evening commute, though you may get stuck in traffic anyways because of other drivers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
The only time you'll cause excessive wear is operating winter tires outside of the temperature range.

I would not recommend an A/S tire for anyone in the Tri-State area or northeast. It can "get you by", but it's not ideal, especially if you're already going to be running two sets of tires. If you don't deal with a lot of snowfall, and mostly see dry pavement, a performance winter is your best bet. If you deal with snow-covered roads for the most part, a regular winter tire would be your best bet. If you deal with a lot of ice, a studded snow tire is your best bet.

I would say performance / regular winter tire is probably what you want in the Boston area. I don't think a studded tire is worth the sacrifice on regular driving conditions in your area.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
Hey WRXers,

Thanks peeps,
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s, and while they are great tires for my Outback, they are not a winter tire. I have Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on Sparco Terra wheels for winter. Costco will swap winter wheels, balance the wheels, and reset your TPMS for $20, even if you didn't buy the tires from them.

Why are you worried about overuse and wear on a winter tire? It's true that running them year round will wear them out quickly, but nobody here with winter tires uses them outside the winter season. That's what summer tires are for.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nokian Haka tires will make you feel like a driving god with a good AWD system

I run Hankook Ipikes on my LGT and its great in the snow, I have also had dunlop Wintersport 3d , Bridgestone Blizzaks and General Articmax all of which will be far superior to an all season.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Any Nokians in particular that would you reccommend?

The Hakkapeliitta series in general is going to be what you're looking for. They're Finnish designed, and made for all winter can throw at you. I personally went with the 7's. They're non-studded and have a micro-crystal silica compound that is even proven to stick to ice. They do come with a premium price tag.

The last two seasons I ran Falken Eurowinter HS449's, and while they did a great job in the snow, they did not last very long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. For those wondering about what I meant by "excessive wear", I travel from Boston to New Jersey every 3-5 weeks to visit family (about 520miles round trip), and I don't want the winter tires to get beat up too fast and last a few winter seasons. Anyone have a estimate for how much per tire Nokian Hakkapelittas usually cost? I can't seem to find any quotes on the Nokian website. Also, approximately when do you guys recommend putting the Winter Tires on and removing them every year?

Thanks peeps,

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Used in the proper temperatures you shouldn't see any more wear than you would on a summer tire in the summer. They won't last as long as Some of these 80k mile tires but you can easily get several winters out of them.

If the tire isn't available on tire rack check discount tire direct.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Hakka 8's are not cheap. I think they list, at least in the 18" size, for around $230 each. I am getting mine from Discount Tire for $200 each.

I have complete tire/wheels winter sets in my garage for every car, and thus wait and prudently weather-watch until I need to install them. Typically, I install them where I live around the middle of December, take them off the end of February, but if I still lived in New England, it would probably be somewhere around mid-November, off around March 15.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
550 Posts
I throw on the winter tires when temps tend to consistently dip below 40 degrees . . . which where I live tends to be sometime in October or early November.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. For those wondering about what I meant by "excessive wear", I travel from Boston to New Jersey every 3-5 weeks to visit family (about 520miles round trip), and I don't want the winter tires to get beat up too fast and last a few winter seasons. Anyone have a estimate for how much per tire Nokian Hakkapelittas usually cost? I can't seem to find any quotes on the Nokian website. Also, approximately when do you guys recommend putting the Winter Tires on and removing them every year?

Thanks peeps,
You can probably get tires pretty cheap before everyone starts really flocking for winter tires. I think that $230 a tire is crazy for a winter tire but that's just me, in NH the roads are cleared within a day or two and then everything is good until
the next storm, lots of salt. I imagine it's the same in the Boston area. I'm glad someone mentioned the ipikes they are great. I switched last year to the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and enjoyed them as well. My wife runs them on her Forester. Ones missing I need to get it patched. I got a spacer lift so yours won't have as tall a sidewall. Potholes can really be a pain.

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Look at the 15 day forecast and throw them on when you see the first snowfall

Winter tires are for more than just snow. They are also superior for cold weather driving where temps will typically stay below 40f

1 - 20 of 23 Posts