Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a WRX 2002 Wagon thats JDM MArket car.
It came stock with 4 pot caliper brakes and 17"" wheels .
the wheels look very nce but seems a little straight for me.
Anyone know what would happen in performance if i put a wider tire..
Also they came with Bridgestone Potenza Tires and i want to know if thats a good choice or not??
what is the best tire?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
21 Posts
you know those 17's that you have are really rare on this side of the world. You could sell them for a pretty penny if you wanted, just some advice. Its a shame too, cause i just bought some new wheels.
Oh, and sorry, no tire advice

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could ship to you if i didnt live in Brazil.
Shipment of those wheels must be very expensive and i dont think it would worht the money.
anyway,,i am planning on keeping those wheels,,but maybe i want a larger(wider)tire only.
any advice???
Tuca

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post pics of my wagon later on the member car gallery..
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What size of tires should i use..in width??what is the max i can use?
Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
I believe the best size for the wagon would be 215s. I think I've heard cases where wagons rub with 225s and cases where 225s don't rub. The sedan doesn't have a problem with 225s.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wagon is JDM and it came stock with 17" wheels..
Does this make any difference??
The height of the tire must be wich size??
Here in Brazil is very rough streets and i need a good but durable tire.
it came stock with bridgestone tires,,are them good???
Which brand??Yokohama,,Continental???

·
Registered
416 Posts
check out www.tirerack.com
It will suggest the best size for your car. It will recommend the the tire size with the smallest % of variance from stock. As far as a durable tire I can't help you there. I have the Yokohama Prada Spec 2s and I love them. They handle awesome! I don't have enough miles on them to tell you whether they are durable enough for your needs!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked out and my car came with Bridgestone Potenza Tires.
they are 17 inches 45 height and 215 width.
But i want some all season tires so i can have a better grip in the rain.
Are those really good in the rain too??
and how much weight each tire??those 17 inches in that size??
i need to know to calculate shipping to Brazil so i can see if its worth to buy it in USA.
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
it depends which bridgestone pontenzas you have as for how they are in the rain. And I believe tire weight varies tire to tire, if you are thinking of buying from tirerack just ask them what shipping would be for a certain tire, they will tell you.

Alex

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shipping inside the USA is the cheapest part..shipping to brazil is expensive..
i need only to know more or less the weight of those 17 inch tires??
Thanks
TUca

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tuca,

You should NOT get all season tires in Brazil, unless you drive often on dirt or gravel roads.

This is because the all-season tire has LESS grip in the rain than the comparable summer tire.

The only advantage of all-season is traction in the snow, (which doesn't exist in your area) and better traction on dirt/mud/gravel if it is a M + S ( mud & snow rated) tire.

You can estimate that tires that size will weight around 24 to 25 pounds (11-12 kilos) each. Perhaps visiting the web pages of Bridgestone/Firestone you can find the exact weight.

as far as the specific tire, there are many types of Bridgestone Potenza, such as S02, S03, RE71, RE92 etc etc. I'm sure that any Potenza made to fit a 17" rim is a fairly good tire.

For convenience and economic reasons, you are probably better off buying a tire made or sold in Brazil. Continental? Michelin? Pirelli? not sure what is available there.......

good luck,

Gonzalo.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here we have Pirelli ,Michellin ,Goodyear and Bridgestone and Firestone.Yokohamas we can get here too and continental too..but very expensive.
So if i drive a lot in the rain its better the summer tires??
what is the best one of them all for rain and good conditions at the street??
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
499 Posts
S-03's are hard to beat. Toyo Proxes T1-S's are a fine round bit of rubber too. AVS Intermediates as well(Yokohama). I have had all these on various cars, and enjoyed them all, the S-03's being my fave. Oh...and Dunlop SP8000's...fun tire, loads of fun, but they wear out so dang quick.

I've heard good things about Michelin Piliot's too, but I think they are a hybrid all season tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
seriously, visit www.tirerack.com and you will learn more about tires than you care to know.

I believ the name Pilot for Michelin is like Potenza for Bridgestone. For example, there are Michelin Pilot Sport, Michelin Pilot A/S ( all season) etc. They are very good but also very expensive.

The all season tires have tread designed to also make good traction in the snow and ice. This tread is not the same pattern as what makes good dry traction ( large tread blocks) or good wet traction, (lots of grooves to evacuate water below the tire). The all season tire compromises it's wet and dry traction for some so-so winter traction.

G

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have Pilot A/S on my car, and they are phenomenal. The reason they work so well is because they actually incorporate 3 different types of rubber so the tire gives up very little dry weather traction. Compared to RE-92's the difference in the dry is substantial, but the difference in incliment weather is night and day. These things haven't hydroplaned once!!! They are pricey, but worth it. Of course, it sonds like Brazil may be better suited to simply the Pilot Sport which doesn't have snow traction, but has slightly better wet and dry traction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
18" rims Michelon Pilots 225 40

Silver Wagon w/ intake / chip & exhaust mods. I went to Tire Rack and got 18" Sport edition fox 2 rims and put on 18" z rated Michelon Pilots (are 3 different models). Are very sticky dry and wet ( I live in Eugene Oregon). High speed cornering is where they shine. Also very quiet. The only draw back is with 225/40S I am going to do frame bracing before I add springs (harshness) to my rex. Handles great as is and the ride out on the freeway is solid and comfy. Also I think most suspension kits are made for 16 and 17" rims. May make susp. too tight.
Tire rack is a great place to go and read performance reviews. Also guys running in short course tracks 0 to 40 mph with 10 or 12 5mph corners run small rims, - and short sidewalls are not great on logging roads vs; the tall sidewall 16" tires. Looks of the 18"s :D are excellent as is all around performance. Go to tire rack and read testimonials and professional reviews.;) Have a ball.

David D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find that SO3's are a very soft compund tire and will not lat very long and are way too expensive. WRX are a AWD car and does not need such a soft sticky compund tire.

I have recently changed from SO2's to Yokohama A539. The Yoko's are a very good allround tire that is value for money. It is half the price fo the SO3's and does the job very well with good stiff side walls.

;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts