Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For four years I’ve been waiting with cash in hand for what most thought would be a next gen 2020 WRX in 2019. Having read that it’ll be a 2021 model (at least another year away), I had to abandon the dream of WRX ownership for an Infiniti G37s with the 6spd MT. I’ll likely miss AWD and the great new styling and tech the next WRX portends, but at 50, I felt I had waited long enough. I’ll continue perusing this forum for updates, but it will no longer be as a prospective owner - just as an admirer of a great car. I know I’m not alone in abandoning the wait because when I tried picking a forum name, “waitingtoolong” was taken (I think that was the spelling). Anyone “done” waiting and decided to pop on the current model?

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
I rarely wait for a new model of anything before I buy it. First years are notorious for having problems.

It's a shame you didn't pull the trigger on a current gen but your choice is a great one either way.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Usually I don't buy the first model year . . . I figure on letting other folks work out any issues or bugs first. However, I own a 2015 simply because that's when the Accord reached the point where I needed to replace it.

That said . . . I've had no issues.

My other thought . . . I try to avoid chasing the next model of anything since there's always something more promising around the corner whether it be the next model of car, ATV, snowmobile, etc.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I guess I'm confused by the concept of desiring a car that we know absolutely nothing about. What exactly held you up from the current generation? I would imagine the Infinity would be a completely different experience from a WRX.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When the new models are expected I typically wait to see what the new ones will be before pulling the trigger. In 2013, I opted for a 14 Forrester XT instead of a 13. In 2014, I opted for a 14 WRX hatch instead of the 15. This year, I ordered a 19 WRX. I figure if I really want the 2021, I'll enjoy my 19 for the next 3-4 years and wait for the mid-cycle refresh.
The 08-09 legacy and outback had some nicer features and accents over the he 05-07. The 11-14 wrx was widebody where are the 08-10 was narrow body, plus the 08 was the one year to avoid! Similarly, the 18+ WRX and STi has a way better looking front grille IMHO, and the updated stereo is better too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with XJman. Whenever I've bought the first model year (or two...) of a car, I've regretted it.

Companies are under tremendous pressure these days to maximize short-term revenues. So they push product out on the market before it's quite fully baked. The American companies are much worse at this than the Asian, but it still happens. The beta-testing and de-bugging seems to be left to the buyers of the first model year. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

I also angsted over waiting for the new WRX vs buying the current one. I ended up recently buying a 2019 WRX, for several reasons. In addition to not wanting to be a guinea pig with the first model year, the last of a generation of car is usually the best sorted out. The 2019 seems to have been honed and refined in small but still meaningful ways to be the nicest to date. There is also the uncertainty of what the new model will actually be - what engine and transmission and other features will it have? I didn't want any unpleasant surprises. Plus, there are good deals to be had as the 2019 is nearing the end of its run. So, I bought one, and absolutely love it.

If the next generation turns out to be irresistible, I can always sell or trade in and buy it (after the bugs have been worked out for a couple of years). So, either I enjoy driving the 2019 for a few years before getting another one, or I keep it long term. For me, it was a win either way.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Where did you hear that? I could have sworn the STi was going to be USDM with a 2.4l turbo set up from the Ascent.
I work for a tier one supplier in the automotive industry and Subaru was in last week working with us while we prepare some tooling for new production on upcoming models. They told us.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I made 3 statements in that last paragraph thing there. 2 are true, one is false. Guess what one?

Honestly, It doesn't matter because nobody knows what Subaru is going to do. The current gen was supposed to drop the EJ engine right up until it was announced according to rumors. Honestly, subaru would be ignorant to put another high displacement boat anchor into the sti.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Look, I am tired of waiting on the C8 Corvette. I can state that I didn't wait to purchase our next toys based on when it might be available. Although, 1,000ish HP that cracks the rear window and twists some of the supports sounds like just enough horsepower to me. You can never have too much horsepower.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Look, I am tired of waiting on the C8 Corvette. I can state that I didn't wait to purchase our next toys based on when it might be available. Although, 1,000ish HP that cracks the rear window and twists some of the supports sounds like just enough horsepower to me. You can never have too much horsepower.
Tell that to Chrysler.

The tomahawk would have been sweet. Viper v10 "motorcycle".

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,762 Posts
Two of my cousins bought Chevrolet Corvettes and the C7 from the inside is a nice car, and affordable relatively speaking if one lives in the USA. I think all the pensioners are holding out for the C8 so C7 prices are a lot more negotiable these days, that's my my family members got in.

It might be worthwhile just getting whatever car you want when you need it. They're both very enamored with the C7.

As for me, it's not the money. I like the inside and I like the grip. I can't get over the serious stigma though. It's one thing to own a Yank tank, but this one just screams "retired and divorced" and I'm having difficulty compromising that sort of thing because I tend to drive my cars a lot and although I put up a brave face I don't want to be embarrassed.

We'll see.

·
Registered
361 Posts
2021 wrx 1.4l I4 turbo. Awd, cvt only, and no STI.
Doubtful. Subaru has had a 1.6L FA series DIT as long as they have had the 2.0L. It is the base offering of the Levorg. The 2.0L is an option.
The WRX will likely maintain the current 2.0 and STi will either get a more powerful 2.0, or the 2.4 from the Ascent, Legacy, and Outback.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
19,762 Posts
The other bad thing about redesigns is the lack of aftermarket parts for the first year or two.
I don’t use any. Lots of advantages to authentic parts. Even my bigeye is stock save for some expendable stuff. Less to worry about staying OEM.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
I don’t use any. Lots of advantages to authentic parts. Even my bigeye is stock save for some expendable stuff. Less to worry about staying OEM.
No sweet bc coilovers and hellaflush stance?

·
19,762 Posts
Tempting as that might be... No.

I swapped my up pipe when it failed for a STOCK up pipe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Two of my cousins bought Chevrolet Corvettes and the C7 from the inside is a nice car, and affordable relatively speaking if one lives in the USA. I think all the pensioners are holding out for the C8 so C7 prices are a lot more negotiable these days, that's my my family members got in.

It might be worthwhile just getting whatever car you want when you need it. They're both very enamored with the C7.

As for me, it's not the money. I like the inside and I like the grip. I can't get over the serious stigma though. It's one thing to own a Yank tank, but this one just screams "retired and divorced" and I'm having difficulty compromising that sort of thing because I tend to drive my cars a lot and although I put up a brave face I don't want to be embarrassed.

We'll see.
I don't know about the Corvette stigma. Some of my best friends own C7 Corvettes. I would like to see your research. For my taste, I picked the LT4 with the wet sump and NO cooling issues with the 10 speed auto. What stigma is attached to owning a true supercar (200+ MPH top end, 10 second quarter miles, sub 7:30 times at the Ring)? Just for the record, the 10 speed auto shifts faster than the DCT in our AMG.

Just as a side note: I hope to be able to offer a good comparison the AMG GT after our AMG Driving Experience in December at COTA. The MB dealership has offered to put in a good word for me since they are very much aware that I am a Car Guy that has up to HPDE 4 ratings.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts