Subaru WRX Forum banner

what size tire width/aspect you running on a 18x9.5 +35 setup?

• 245/45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 255/35

• 265/35

• Other please comment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WRX Limited w/ CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the importance of having a tire width larger, equal, or smaller than the width of the rim?

I heard from a fitment industries video, the rim width we shop is measured from the bead edges only (not exterior) so you gotta add a half inch in width for each side of the rim to calculate the proper tire width.

So I’m curious if y’all with aftermarket 18x9.5 setups added that to your tire widths when shopping, i.e. buying 10.5 inch (~265mm) wide tires instead of 9.5 inch (~240mm) ?

I had originally planned for 255/35s but I don’t want the tire to be too stretched out until I know the pros/cons of stretching a tire.

Thanks. Ps I’d like to run RCE yellow lowering springs without rolling my fenders so if any of this setup interferes with that please tell me bc this is my first time buying aftermarket rims and lowering a car

·
Not a mod
13,165 Posts
@XJman gotcha thanks, so I should roll with a tire at least 10.5 inches wide for a 9.5 inch rim?
If the manufacturer recommends it for that size.

Outside of some very special cases like off road vehicles where the tire is more there to just be a flappy grippy thing you want to buy a tire that's specifications say it will work with the wheel size.

Within that range they give a wider wheel will have the tire suffer less roll. Where as a tire in the narrower of the spec will have a little more. At the limits of performance you'll want to mess with it, but for most of us it's not as critical. You just want a wheel that fits the tire size or vise versa.

What tires are you looking at?

·
Registered
2015 WRX Limited w/ CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@XJman the continental extreme contact DWS06 Plus is what I’m set on. And continental has all three widths at the aspect ratio I want. 255/35R18 (tire 10.04inch wide), 265/35R18 (10.43inch wide), and 275/35R18 (10.83inch wide). I have a feeling at 10-20mm difference it probably won’t matter that much for handling like you said? But I imagine with 265 or 275 I run the chance of tire rubbing the fender liner with lowering springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts