ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpine Sport Snow tires that are a P205/50R17 thinking that they would be slightly narrower for better bite in the snow vs the normal P225/45R17 that I normally run on my wheels. I stacked them up in the garage tonight next to my Yoko summer tires of the 225 width and they to my surprise the 205's were significantly wider. So I pulled out my tape ruler and the tread width across the contact area is identical, but the Michelins sidewall is a half inch wider over all on a tire that should be a half inch narrower than my Yoko's. Anyone else run into this? Do Michelins run wide or do the Yoko's run narrow. Based on my measurements, I think the Yoko's tread width is actually down around 205... :confused:

Chris

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Tread width doesn't have a really standard measurement. What you're seeing is very common.

The old rule of running narrower tires in the winter is garbage. Last time I checked, pretty much every road you're ever going to be on is plowed, so I'll take wider tires with more grip any day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts