Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little research for the tire weight because I'm going to purchase a new set of wheels (decided on SSR Comps in 17x7.5) and I'm trying to decide on a tire to go with them.

I decided to compare the Bridgestone S03, Toyo T1-S, Falken Azenis Sport, and Kumho Ecsta 712. Here is what I found for the tire size 225/45_17.

T1-S - 20.9 lbs
S03 - 25 lbs
Ecsta 712 - 25.2 lbs
Azenis Sport - 25.9 lbs

Wow, 4 lbs difference per tire for the T1-S as comapred to the S03!

Although my WRX is driven mostly on the street, I am performance minded and feel the T1-S may be my choice because of the low weight and its overall good dry/wet performance. These are not going to be Winter tires - I'll be taking them off for foul weather (snow). The S03 is a close runner up and I still have not decided 100%. I've driven on S03's (not in a WRX) and I know they're great - they stick and they are quiet.

Has anyone out there tried both the S03 and the T1-S?
Any comments on the T1-S?

Thanks! - gene

·
1,911 Posts
I had the T1S's and they are fantastic tire. The S-03 may have a small advantage on dry pavement but they are a bit oversized which may cause rubbing issues. Also, the weight. Advan AVS Sports and T1S's were both QUITE a bit lighter than the S-03's and both have performed VERY well for me.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The AVS Sports(Yokohama/Advan) are also quite stiff sidewall(compared to S03). Another thing to keep in mind is not necessarily a performance issue of tyres, but rather the feel. Sure you can have a tyre that grips like mad, but it can also lack in communication....and this is where tyres can be "considered" a personal preference. The more confidence you have, the better you perform.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

Hmm, I was not aware the AVS Sport was lighter than the S03 - could not find weight specs on Yokohama's site.

O.K. - for those of you who have had T1-S's:

"at the limit" how is the feedback?

also, will they survive the big potholes of philadelphia and south jersey area (wondering if lighter=weaker)?

-thanks!!, gene

·
Registered
20 Posts
2BARjones said:

T1-S - 20.9 lbs
S03 - 25 lbs
Ecsta 712 - 25.2 lbs
Azenis Sport - 25.9 lbs
gene
Good info, gene! I feel like T1-S is a very good choice. I have a wagon, so I need 215-45-17 and they do have this size. Hey, when you buy 5 lb lighter wheels price changes from around
200$ to 600$ a rim, so it is better to choose a lighter tire. Where did you find this info? I wanted to check a few other tires.

Vlad

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where to find the info

To find the tire weight, try going to the mfg's website and locate the specs section for the tire you want. Unfortunately, I cannot find the weight for the Yoko's (AVS Sport) - maybe someone out there has it?

-gene

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vz64 said:
Hmm..., sorry, but what is mfg? their url?
Vlad

mfg is Manufacturer abbreviated.

use www.google.com to find (search for) the mfg's web site.;)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I've got the T1S in 225/50/16 wrapped around Volk TE37's, this makes for an extremely light combo. The T1S gives up dry handling to only two tires (excluding R-compunds ofcourse) that I know of- the KD and the Azeni. Ofcourse the T1S outperforms them in the wet by a wide margin. I've run over a dozen autox's and a two day driving school with them and am thoroughly impressed with their dry performance under stressful conditions. I've also been through some monsoonal rain storms and even a couple of freak snow storms- they performed wonderfully (do not adovocate these a s a winter tire-just pointing out the performance).

As you've discovered they are light, but also stiff sidewalled and appear to wearing great. They are not cheap, but no hi po tire is.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
schischwein said:
The AVS Sports(Yokohama/Advan) are also quite stiff sidewall(compared to S03). Another thing to keep in mind is not necessarily a performance issue of tyres, but rather the feel. Sure you can have a tyre that grips like mad, but it can also lack in communication....and this is where tyres can be "considered" a personal preference. The more confidence you have, the better you perform.
Gene,

I'm looking forward to trying them, but I with S.

I am a YOKO fan now. BIG TIME!

-Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the comments Big Sky - wow your tire/wheel combo must be very light weight! - is that a daily driver set-up or is it for the tracks and auto-x's?

Plat, you should look into R-compounds!! - you will need it to harness the "power of platinum"!! (lol)

BTW - thanks for letting me drive your car last night - very nice!!!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
2BARjones said:
thanks for the comments Big Sky - wow your tire/wheel combo must be very light weight! - is that a daily driver set-up or is it for the tracks and auto-x's?

My wife's daily driver- my weekend autox/ track/ gravel (change of wheels/tires) plaything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts