ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching on my problem, and I found people with similar problems, but no real solutions/explanations.

Car: '02 WRX
Tires: Yokohama AVS dB S2 on stock wheels
Suspension: Whiteline Control Springs (stiffer springs, not much drop)

I've got a large uneven wear on the inside of the rear driver tire. I suspected it may be alignment, so I took it to Firestone to check it. Everything was within spec. I don't even think that the rear has an adjustable toe. I've had the tires for 12,000-15,000 miles, and have rotated them twice since I got them, and have aligned the car once since I got them. I don't race (other than one trip to the dragstrip for a test n tune), and drive the car spiritedly once a month or so.

The chica at Firestone suggested that the tire may have developed a "wear pattern", and even with a good alignment the "wear pattern" can exist. Sounded like BS to me, but I really don't know. I suspect I may have to take my alignment results to Discount Tire, and try to make good on the extended coverage that I bought on the tires.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
my wifes ts wagon is haveing the same thing on the passenger rear. alignment was checked and in spec. the manager of peerless told us to rotate every 3000 miles. he also said to watch your daily route. if you are taking the same route everyday to work or whatever, which she does, that could cause uneven wear.

i am also going to vary tire pressure every other rotation or so, add some above what the door plate says, then go back to it.

i never thought about the daily driving routine thing, seems to make sense to me.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, I'll have to get my sheets and post them up. They're in my car right now, a few blocks away.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, here's the alignment sheet. Dissect at will.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well with that alignment I would expect to see more wear on the passenger side rear if anywhere. I don't see anything that looks really out of the ordinary there. I'd try to get an alignment with more negative camber in front and less in the rear but that would be for performance and not tire wear.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
driggity said:
Well with that alignment I would expect to see more wear on the passenger side rear if anywhere.
*sigh* My thoughts exactly. I think I'll head to Discount and see what I can get by showing them my alignment results and making a fuss.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Your alignment doesn't appear to be the problem- the toe in the rear they could have done a better job w/ though. You've got toe out on the right rear and toe in (albeit small) on the left. I try and get the toe within a couple of hundredths of each other.

I would echo the tire rotation every 3000 miles- all of my tires are expensive (even my winter ones) and I rotate at every oil change (only takes ~ 20 minutes).

I also check tire pressures at a minimum of weekly, bit of these will extend tire life.

Bring in the alignment sheet and see if they will work w/ you on replacing tires- they should have some warranty behind them still.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*Update*

Took it to Discount this weekend, they put it up on the lift and checked the tire out. Everyone agreed that it was a tire defect. So, since I bought the replacement guarantee, I'm now getting a free tire and three discounted ones. I originally paid $600 for all 4 tires, and I'm getting 4 new tires (same kind) for $250 now.

Thanks Discount! :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts