Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this isn't a WRX question . . . it's a Legacy question.

My wife had a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback sedan that she loved and drove until 2015. In 2014 I purchased a set of snow tires and mounted them on a spare set of rims. Unfortunately, in 2015 we had a head gasket issue and after an unsuccessful repair attempt we opted to buy a new Legacy.

Now I'm wondering if I can use those winter tires on her 2015 Legacy.

2015 Legacy: 225-55-17, 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern

2003 Legacy: 225-60-16, 5 x 100 bolt pattern

--

Questions:

1) Can I take the snow tires off the current rims and mount them to 16 inch rims with the 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern?

2) Would doing this be problematic in any way in going from 17 inch to 16 inch . . . same question about going with a different aspect ratio?

3) What would I need for rims in terms of size, aspect ratio, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
16 inch wheel may not fit. But your Speedo will be off a bit.

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
Moda is the only one I’m aware of there and their quality is hit or miss. Some folks will have a set and never have any issues. Others will crack them easily. The wheels that were on my wrx when I got it were moda. I didn’t have any issues at all. They were heavy as hell though for a 16 and balancing was tough.

·
Master Baiter
12,650 Posts
Firefighterjake said:
2015 Legacy: 225-55-17, 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern
2003 Legacy: 225-60-16, 5 x 100 bolt pattern

1) Can I take the snow tires off the current rims and mount them to 16 inch rims with the 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern?
A 16" tire can fit on a 16" wheel. Whether or not that 16" wheel can clear your brakes is another story.

Firefighterjake said:
2) Would doing this be problematic in any way in going from 17 inch to 16 inch . . . same question about going with a different aspect ratio?
You always want to go with a tire that matches OE size the closest, which you can use a tire size calculator (e.g., link) to determine. This way, your speedometer is affected the least.

GR WRXs had this option with going to a 16" wheel for winter tires (OE wheels were 17"). This accomplished three things:
1) The cost of the winter tire is reduced going from 17" to 16"
2) The narrower contact patch is better for cutting through deep snow
3) The increased sidewall height (as a result of lesser diameter wheel and narrower contact patch) allows for additional ride quality when you come to imperfections in the road.

Firefighterjake said:
3) What would I need for rims in terms of size, aspect ratio, etc.?
I don't know enough about standard Legacy vehicles to be able to give you an answer to this. My advice to use a tire calculator to determine tire size stands, and you would need to determine what wheel/offset brands clear your brakes. I would assume that the options are pretty good considering this isn't a vehicle with performance brakes.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you EJ . . .

If I was using (and reading) the tire calculator correctly . . . going with my original plan resulted in a very small change vs. my other option which I was bandying about -- buying used wheels and used snow tires (most of which would not be an exact fit size wise.)

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
225/55-17 4.9in 13.4in 26.7in 84.0in 754 0.0%
225/60-16 5.3in 13.3in 26.6in 83.7in 757 -0.4%

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New question:

Enkei or Konig . . . or is there much of a difference in terms of quality?

Also . . . is there a huge difference in the multi-bolt pattern wheels (wheels with two different bolt spacings . . . and extra holes of course) vs. wheels with a specific bolt pattern . . . again, looking at longevity and quality vs. looks.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,648 Posts
Enkei are quality wheels. They are OEM on at least 3 of my cars, and those cars are of 3 different marques. I'd trust them no worries.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leaning towards going with Enkei wheels, but Konig seems to offer some pretty good "value priced" wheels. Any one have anything good or bad to say about Konig?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went in a whole other direction . . . I'm going to try some American Racing wheels. Much, much cheaper and they seem to get decent reviews other than some folks who say they've had some issues with the finish. If these were for my WRX and I was getting them for performance and style I might (well actually I did) pony up the extra cash for better wheels like Enkeis, but I figure these are for my wife's Legacy and snow tires . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts