Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 wrx hatch with 40k with the original tires on the stock rims. I have a set of rota's (17x8) and snow tires i use for the winter. 5 years ago with a different car i had a set of hankook ventus v4's (215/45/17) fitted to the rotas and used them from one spring to late fall. I cracked a rim and put a slit in the sidewall of one of the tires and they've been sitting in my parents shed. It was perfect when after i bought the wrx i realized the stock rims were the same size as my rotas and i knew when it was time to get new tires i could buy one new one and put the other three hankooks on the stockies...however they stopped making the tire 4 years ago (and i cant find one anywhere) and i also realized it must have been a little stretch to get the 215's on an 8 inch rim. So a few questions for you tire experts

Would it be a problem buying 2 similar tires and pairing them with the hankooks i have ( 2 old in front, 2 new in back)?
Is putting 215's on the 8 inch wide stock rim a stretch? Or am i losing any performance by doing so?
Also are these tires that I haven't even looked at in 4 years going to be dry rotted or unusable from leaving them in an outdoor shed in New York?

Thanks in advance for some input, i just went from thinking i could spend less than $100 and not have to worry about tires for a while to maybe having to buy 4 new ones.

·
Registered
142 Posts
General consensus with our cars is if you do not want to fry your diff. Buy all brand new tires of the same instead of mixing and matching

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
You absolutely want to run the same type of tire at all four corners.

You don't want to play the game of mixing-and-matching. Spend the extra $$ up front so it doesn't cost you triple or quadruple that amount in repairs later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts