ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just took off my winter rims and tires and put the summer (stock) ones back on. My TPMS is still on. i called the dealer and they said its a $60 fee to reset the TPMS. does anyone know of a way to tun this light off or anything? i have a cobb ap, can i use that as a code reader to reset the sensor?

thanks

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
nice to know .....the cobb ap does not seem able to do this though

$60 is redic.....my dealer will do it for free

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
disconnecting the bat and pressing the brake......that won't change your tune other than resetting the multiplier right?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
no it wont hurt your tune. If you have air in your tires that is greater than 30 and lower than 44, after driving a few miles the light should go off on its own.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Did your winter tires have TPMS?According to your initial post I would think not.

The system is still setup to sense the TPMS on your stock summer tires,which it will do.Like mentioned It may take a few miles but it will sense the stock sensors.

Also as mentioned ,check your tire pressure.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I switched from my winter wheels to my summers (stock) today.....both sets have TMPS.....and my light came on. I checked the pressure, and did the bat disconnect trick twice....no dice.

Anyone else have another way? I really don't feel like going back to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I tried disconnecting the battery and that didn't seem to work either. So im open to any other suggestions.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This happened to me, Just check the air and drive it a few days. Maybe call Discount tire or somewhere else before going to the stealer. I also heard from my tire guy that both sets will have to have sensors in them or they will not service them. More Goverment control***********good luck D

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is to my understanding that Subaru's system can only store 4 TPMS monitors in its memory. The monitors are specifically stored (i.e. the frequency in which they transmit the data to the cars computer), therefore if you install the winter wheels with the sensors then the system has to be reprogrammed for the new sensors. Now put the summers back on and reprogram again. I could be wrong but did a little research prioe to putting my winter wheels together and decided not to get the TPMS sensors install and just live with the light.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
It is to my understanding that Subaru's system can only store 4 TPMS monitors in its memory. The monitors are specifically stored (i.e. the frequency in which they transmit the data to the cars computer), therefore if you install the winter wheels with the sensors then the system has to be reprogrammed for the new sensors. Now put the summers back on and reprogram again.
^ True. My dealer does it for free, twice a year....bacause they <3 me. If you have them jot down the codes, there is a little doo-hicky that you can buy to do it yourself. Here is more information than you'll ever want on the subject - TPMS Reset Tool - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Yeah, I saw that last night while searching after posting......it is a nice idea, but being that it is $150, and I'm a cheap bastid, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase for something I would use twice a year

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Yeah, I saw that last night while searching after posting......it is a nice idea, but being that it is $150, and I'm a cheap bastid, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase for something I would use twice a year
That's easy for you (and me) to say. Our dealers aren't charging us 60 bucks twice a year.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
so does this happen to everyone? im gonna put my stocks rims and tires back on and since i just went stage 2 im trying to avoid the dealer haha

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Just a thought, if you are afraid of the dealer due to mods.....most tire shops should have the equipment to do this for you, and might be cheaper if your dealer charges.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I switched from winters to stock summers for the second time since I bought the car.TPMS light went off like clockwork.
Was the light on when you had your winter wheels on?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts