Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm running Dunlop SP Sports 215X45X17 and the noise is borderline unbearable. my g/f mentioned that it sounds like a wookie.

this hurt my (and Betty's) feelings. anyone out there with speed rated tires experiencing a lot of road noise? especially on the hwy?

i love the stick these tires give, and even in the winter they were okay for grip in inclement weather (there's a bit of a block tread resemblance there) so i'd love to get them again, i just have to believe there is a quieter high performance tire out there. if this is just a combination of the wrx being a loud car and any speed rated tire, then so be it. i'm also considering dynamatting my wheel wells with the spray-on sound proofing. anyone condisered this?

i'm coming up on new tire time, so any help is appreciated. if you have some nice rubber, and feel that you're not getting real loud (expecially compared to the stockers, they are dead silent compared to my car now) noise, please advise.

thanks

dR

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
So far so good on my Bridgestone RE730s, but I only have about 5000 miles on them...I've heard that once you get more wear, they get VERY VERY loud. Only time will tell for me though...

·
Registered
298 Posts
SP 5000's, 8000's or 9000's ??

I have the 9000's on my GTI and they aren't loud at all (of course there is so much other noise in that car that the tires very well could be loud and I'm just not able to hear them :D )

Seriously though, they are a fairly quiet tire, and handling is very good, turn in response is decent but the grip and smoothness of the breakaway when you go beyond grip with this tire is fantastic, they totally transformed the car.

If you're running the 9000's then disregard my post, I'll delete it, but if you aren't I suggest looking into them if you already like the Dunlop's.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they're 9K's. i'm looking at teh sound ratings on tirerack. some of the michelins' and pirrellis look quieter and for okay $$.

i'm definitely sound proofing my wheel wells though.

thanks for all the responses.

dR

·
Registered
295 Posts
Parada's

I have 225/40/18 Yokohama Parada Spec 2's. These are 'W' rated (168mph rated) and it's only as loud as the road's condition. On new asphalt, this are more quiet than the RE92's. On grooved pavement and bridges, it doesn't dance and it's just as quiet. The volume increase I notice are on the older parts of I-5 when I'm going about 30-40mph... I've use the Yokohama AVS, Pirelli P-Zero Asymmetricos, and BF Goodrich Euro T/A's. These are by far the more quiet. But if ANY tire is unbearbly loud (wookie), then I get the alignment redone!

Bernard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts