Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2016 Premium Wrx. I had these tires put on in March of 2017 after a driver plows into my car and destroyed a couple of tires. Considering i just bought the car in December of 2015 i went ahead and had all new tires put on. As of August 2017, i notice these "slits" running along tread right before they meet the side wall on my front driver side tire.

At first i was sure someone had tried slitting my tire, but it was all the way around the tire and multiple lines were visible, maybe 4 to 5 rings. I dont think anything can cause damage 360 degrees around the tire, so i dont suspect road hazard. It has gotten worse after i took these pictures. Any ideas on what it is?

I suspect a factory defect considering all tires were put on brand spanking new in march. These are dunlops btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did you buy them local? If so have them inspect the tire(s)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i had the body work done by my Subaru dealer in March, they had ordered the 4 new tires from the Factory. I took it in a few weeks ago to have them see what they thought the rings were from. Their conclusion was road hazard, but it has gotten a little worse since then. More rings are starting to show and they seem deeper too. Im wondering if the tire is unraveling. If so, I'll probably need new tires again. Lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
It looks like a manufacturing defect to me. No way a cut would be that clean and uniform all around. BTW: Unless there was a warranty claim of some kind, I would NEVER buy tires from the dealer. Any tire shop will offer better prices and tire warranty coverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the second opinion. Yeah, i wanted to buy from just a tire shop, but it was because of insurance claims i had to use the dealer. But yeah. It definitely seems like a defect.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Are you rubbing. I used to get the same thing on my Cherokee when my tires rubbed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think its rubbing. I had a tire rotation and the tire in that spot now has no damage, but my dad thought the same thing at first. Im taking it straight to the local Dunlop dealer and presenting it as a defect. Wish me luck. Lol

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Yeah the ones around the outside of the tire definitely look like it rubbed at some point. The ones on the tread, who knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts