Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I live in southeastern Virginia, and with the recent major snow that we had, my poor 2017 WRX is stuck in the driveway. I had forgotten that the things are sold with summer tires, and I couldn't even back out of my driveway without almost getting stuck. So, I am looking on Tire Rack to figure out what set of tires I should get. I want to get a set of winter tires, but where I live, this kind of heavy snow is not that common, and sometimes the temperature swings like crazy in the winter (according to the weather report, it supposed to go up to 60 degrees next week then back down to 43). To not wear out my winter tires so fast, it would require me to constantly switch back and forth during temperature swings I'm guessing. So I was looking at perhaps just getting some all season tires.

I could use some input. In my situation, would all season be good enough? What are some good all season tires? As for winter tires, I was eyeing the Blizzak LM001, and for all season, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
You never know what temps and conditions you'll encounter. Best to go with dedicated winter and summer on two sets of wheels. All seasons are a poor compromise imo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dedicated > All seasons. I run the blizzak WS70s in winter and they perform very well. Even if it means running the winters on some pavement from time to time its better than getting stuck in a snow storm like you say and not being able to really drive. Just look for a more tougher compound ( the blizzaks are very soft and get torn up easy on pavement), Tire rack reviews are usually pretty trustworthy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you going to drive mostly on Snow or mixed? NorCal here, very little snow so far but las season was epic. I drive up to Tahoe a lot, it usually just the last 40 miles are snowed in so AS works fine for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you going to drive mostly on Snow or mixed? NorCal here, very little snow so far but las season was epic. I drive up to Tahoe a lot, it usually just the last 40 miles are snowed in so AS works fine for me.
In my area, when there is precipitation during the winter, it is usually just really cold rain. The temps can get really cold though.

If I were to get a set of winters, when would be a good time to take them off?

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Winter performance tires are not the same as snow tires. Winter tires are constructed from rubber compounds optimized for cold temps with mild siping for snow. They are not meant for deep snow or ice.

I run Dunlop Wintersport tires. They offer good dry grip below 50 degF but are not fantastic in snow. My past experience with Bridgestone Blizzack LM60 was the opposite -- good in snow, not great in dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
There are choices in dedicated winter tires. I've opted for performance winters rather than studless or studded.

The performance winters should work well for you.

Winter performance tires are not the same as snow tires. Winter tires are constructed from rubber compounds optimized for cold temps with mild siping for snow. They are not meant for deep snow or ice.

I run Dunlop Wintersport tires. They offer good dry grip below 50 degF but are not fantastic in snow. My past experience with Bridgestone Blizzack LM60 was the opposite -- good in snow, not great in dry.
What a coincidence! I'm running Dunlop Winterports as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking again at the Blizzak LM001 tires, they are winter performance. So I'm guessing they should be good in cold-but-dry conditions.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
I don't like any Blizzak tire, and have been vocal about it in the past; I would look at Dunlop or Michelin for your "Performance" winter tires, if you can find them in your size.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Looking again at the Blizzak LM001 tires, they are winter performance. So I'm guessing they should be good in cold-but-dry conditions.
Seems that way.

The mild siping does offer some snow and ice performance, but not even close to snow tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
qah_rex said:
Anyone had experience with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires?
They are not a "Performance" winter tire (Alpin series are the "Performance winters"). That said, the X-Ice tires are generally a good choice in the studless winter tire category.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't like any Blizzak tire, and have been vocal about it in the past; I would look at Dunlop or Michelin for your "Performance" winter tires, if you can find them in your size.
Unfortunately, TireRack only has two tires for my OEM wheel size:

Blizzak LM001
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Unfortunately, TireRack only has two tires for my OEM wheel size:

Blizzak LM001
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
Don't be afraid to step outside your OE size...

For example, if you have 18s stock, you can probably save some money going with 17" tires. A lot of the GR owners went with 16" tires in the winter, and saved money.

Use a tire calculator:
https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

See if you can find a size that has similar dimensions that provide minimal speedo impact.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Anyone had experience with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires?
Best winter tires I've ever used. Very good on ice and snow. Fantastic handling and dry grip, comparable to an all season. I have them on my wife's Legacy. If you can get them, you won't be disappointed.

I have these on my winter wheels. The are very good in wet and snow, good on ice, and not terrible on dry. However, they do hum quite loudly. If you can cope with that, it's a decent winter tire. (I have the SPT exhaust, which drones so much, it doesn't matter.)

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I agree with the notion that performance winters may be best for u. I, myself, run General Altimax Arctic "snow" tires and love them! They offer all the dry grip I need for the way I drive and are EXCELLENT in snow/ice. Night and day with these on snowy roads vs wife's forester with OEM all seasons.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good advice on here. I played around with alternative tire sizes and came up with a good deal on some 17" Dunlop Winter Maxx mounted on wheels through Tire Rack, while OEM size was very limited and much more expensive. I agree that they are good general purpose winter tires, but certainly not the best winter tires I've used on packed snow/ice. I'll probably go with the General Altimax next time. Everyone that has them seems to love them and the price is great.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Problem with winter tires is the screwy weather we get on the east coast. Winter tires shouldn't be driven in anything above 40 to 50F, 45F according to most websites. Summer tires are the exact opposite, don't drive on them below 40F. All season tires however are a hybrid of this, and can be driven above/below... Winters here in CT aren't going to stay below 45F, and winter tires aren't meant to be driven with any excitement.

Those warmer days, you'll be staring at the WRX, cursing those winter tires... Swap them the moment it starts to warm up, only to get a massive cold front with snow a week later.

Get a good set of ultra high performance all season tires, and call it a day. Never had an issue with UHP all seasons, even in blizzards when people are told not to go anywhere because of the conditions. AWD.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Problem with winter tires is the screwy weather we get on the east coast. Winter tires shouldn't be driven in anything above 40 to 50F, 45F according to most websites. Summer tires are the exact opposite, don't drive on them below 40F. All season tires however are a hybrid of this, and can be driven above/below... Winters here in CT aren't going to stay below 45F, and winter tires aren't meant to be driven with any excitement.

Those warmer days, you'll be staring at the WRX, cursing those winter tires... Swap them the moment it starts to warm up, only to get a massive cold front with snow a week later.

Get a good set of ultra high performance all season tires, and call it a day. Never had an issue with UHP all seasons, even in blizzards when people are told not to go anywhere because of the conditions. AWD.
My coworker drives general altamax arctic's year round. They are fine as long as it's not getting and staying 60+.

You do you. This topic has been beaten to death, revived, beaten to death, revived only to be promptly beaten to death again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts