ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone guide me in the right direction of some affordable coilovers for my 04 wrx or have any other suggestions on lowering it? I want to lower it very badly but dont want to spend too much money at this time. Way too much gap in the front wheel-wells. I'm such a noob with this forum stuff... Gonna take some getting used to. haha

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
have you thought about just getting springs instead of coilovers?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
if u want alittle drop lowering srpings and a good shock are good. ive had two of these setups on my cars and no complaints. tomrrow im installing megan coilovers and this will be my lowest car ive ever had. but search on craigslist and forums to find some used ones cheaper

·
Registered
140 Posts
i found some Skunk 2 springs that are approx 1.5 front and 1.3 in the rear. i was wondering how Skunk2 is on Subies... it was a great & smooth ride on my Honda...

any advice?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
never read reviews or anything from wrx owners but i thought they were really bouncy when i had them on my civic so i took them off and put eibach pro kit springs on.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The best tip I can say is if you don't want to spend too much money right now, then don't look to lower the car just yet. The suspension dynamics of a WRX isn't the same as a Civic or a Honda. Don't just throw the cheapest Megan Racing or no-name coils on it and expect quality results...

Two routes you can go...a GOOD set of coilovers...or a strut/spring combo. Either way you'll be looking near $800 for the cheapest option.

·
Registered
140 Posts
never read reviews or anything from wrx owners but i thought they were really bouncy when i had them on my civic so i took them off and put eibach pro kit springs on.
Strange. I found them to be a smooth ride on my 04 civic.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The best tip I can say is if you don't want to spend too much money right now, then don't look to lower the car just yet. The suspension dynamics of a WRX isn't the same as a Civic or a Honda. Don't just throw the cheapest Megan Racing or no-name coils on it and expect quality results...

Two routes you can go...a GOOD set of coilovers...or a strut/spring combo. Either way you'll be looking near $800 for the cheapest option.
+1 either do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
have you thought about just getting springs instead of coilovers?
yeah I thought about getting Tein lowering springs, they would give me a 2.2 in drop in the front and 1.5 in the back but I wasnt sure how it would ride having aftermarket springs on stock suspension. I suppose it would be improvement...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input guys! I agree with Mikie13 and teflon_jones and I need to just wait to lower my car. So maybe I'll do springs just for temporarily and purchase a decent set of coilovers down the road.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
tein springs are known for being awful. i'd continue to do some research or of course like you said, just wait and keep saving

·
Registered
157 Posts
there are many many many threads on this topic, id suggest doing a search. but just for some info what are your goals for the car? dd, auto x/rally x road course...? For just a DD id really suggest just a good set of strut/springs. I'd suggest either a set of kyb agx or tokicko d spec struts with a set of sti take offs. If youre looking at auto x or track days i would suggest a set of BC Racing BR coilovers, i currently have them on my auto x/track day wrx im building. All these threads are just below yours...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspension-wheels/134353751-coilovers-finally-got-some-duckets-them.html
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspension-wheels/134353079-debating-tokico-d-spec-struts-dont-know-what-springs.html
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspension-wheels/134353084-suspension-upgrade-help.html

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Affordable and coilovers are two words never to be used together.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
yeah I thought about getting Tein lowering springs, they would give me a 2.2 in drop in the front and 1.5 in the back but I wasnt sure how it would ride having aftermarket springs on stock suspension. I suppose it would be improvement...?
No it will not be. Not only are your stock struts not going to last long with that drop, but they're also not engineered to work in that operating range. Lowering your car doesn't suddenly make it better than stock performance.

And skip the Teins that have a terrible reputation and buy some quality springs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay well I now know that I'm gonna hold off and do it when I have a job and can do things the right way. Haha I like the way Torque put it, short and sweet. Well thanks for the heads up on Tein springs by the way. Just gonna spend my time researching and saving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Supsension Technique coilovers

Affordable and coilovers are two words never to be used together.
Curious if you or anyone have seen WRX specific reviews for Suspension Technique coilovers. Markeing info states they are the same as KW V1's except galvanized steel and a 5 year warranty (on ST's) opposed to INOX stainless steel/lifetime warranty (on KW's).

I spoke to TIC who even recommended these over some spring/strut combos however I am concerned about the listed minimum drop of 1.6" front and rear. If any one has feedback or info on these it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts