Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
dont drop the clutch if ur car is awd, make sure u push the clutch in before u shift(duh but i know some peeps who while learning did it backwards)....others can add on...

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
something that made me improve the way i drive a 5 speed is to constantly push and pull the clutch. dont ever just totally let it out all at once. smoooooth

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always made sure to downshift when slowing down instead of just pressing in the clutch and break. The whole point is to get a feel for the engine and what sounds it makes when you shift, accelerate, etc. Downshifting just added more shifts and using the clutch.

And the number one thing is: be smooth in pressing and releasing the clutch and the gas.

·
Banned
968 Posts
The only thing that is hard when your learning is 1st gear. Just let it out slowly till you get the hang of where it engages. Then when shifting let the clutch out slowly and your set.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
a helpful way to revmatch when you downshift is kinda keep your foot on the gas a little bit so as soon as you clutch off the rpms will shoot up to roughly where you want them to be...thats what i do...might take a bit of practice to revmatch perfectly

·
Registered
389 Posts
aaronwillen said:
a helpful way to revmatch when you downshift is kinda keep your foot on the gas a little bit so as soon as you clutch off the rpms will shoot up to roughly where you want them to be...thats what i do...might take a bit of practice to revmatch perfectly
Also, what I like to do when downshifting, is i hit the gas hard quickly to get the RPMs moving up, then snap off the clutch. The momentum of the engine goes along with the speed of the clutch so you don't get all the clutch-wear and bumpiness.

·
Registered
81 Posts
oh, question, is it bad for the tranny if when you're slowing down to stop u just press the clutch and put it in neuteral?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alpha,
the only time you might run into a problem with that is if you're not stopping and you need to put it back into gear. You should be familiar with what gears match the speed you're going. But if you're just coming to a stop, then no, it won't hurt your tranny at all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The hardest thing I found when I started driving stick was at a light on a big hill with the guy behind me a little too close. Try to practice that. I know it will be hard to find that in a parking lot but go to a hill in a quite neighborhood where you won't hurt anyone.
Its not the best for the clutch but it is better to learn before you are stuck on a hill and roll in to the guy behind you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
droogie said:
The hardest thing I found when I started driving stick was at a light on a big hill with the guy behind me a little too close. Try to practice that. I know it will be hard to find that in a parking lot but go to a hill in a quite neighborhood where you won't hurt anyone.
Its not the best for the clutch but it is better to learn before you are stuck on a hill and roll in to the guy behind you.
You can also use the E-Brake until you get good at hills....

·
Registered
21,178 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
with the e brake:
when you're on a hill, pull up your e brake, get into first like you normally would going forward, once you feel movement forward, push down your e brake. it helps but i wouldn't get into the habit. if you have a garage parking lot nearby like a corporate center, i would rec' practicing there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When driving slowly in first gear (in a parking lot...making side street turns w/out a full stop):
-to prevent 'clutch shudder' in these situations, give the throttle a quick blip. Then, immediately go back into throttle and feather clutch (half-way release).
-when re-engaging clutch after coasting in first gear, this technique always works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
droogie: The hardest thing I found when I started driving stick was at a light on a big hill with the guy behind me a little too close. Try to practice that. I know it will be hard to find that in a parking lot but go to a hill in a quite neighborhood where you won't hurt anyone.
that gave me the idea of trying to practice that in a enclosed parking structure that has multiple floors. thanks

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
on steep hills i usually will let my foot off the clutch until i see the rpms drop down and then once you let off the brake the car wont roll back at all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
aaronwillen said:
on steep hills i usually will let my foot off the clutch until i see the rpms drop down and then once you let off the brake the car wont roll back at all.
Must not be a very steep hill. The pressure point on our cars isn't very strong. A Cobra Mustang on the other hand....

yeah... but who wants to drive a mustang?????

-Blue

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually proper hill stops involve using the handbrake. In fact using the handbrake not only saves your clutch but allows faster and easier/independent control over throttle, clutch and brake(hand vs foot to prevent roll back). Sure for stop signs or brief moments when you know it will turn green very soon, friction point or any sort of cheat is fine, but for a long stop, hand brake is the best way and easily/effective. On top of that, in the UK(as well as various other European countries) you will not pass your driving test unless you use the handbrake(....there is a difference on the license between auto only and manual drivers unlike North America).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts