Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools I used:
3/8 Ratchet
1/2 Ratchet
10, 12, 14, 22mm sockets
short extension
Impact wrench or strap wrench (I used both on separate occasions.)
Torque Wrench
Small metal ruler to measure belt deflection.
Drain pan and funnel for the coolant.
Brake Kleen
Lots of paper towels/shop rags.
3/8 socket driver (very handy.)
Feeler gauges
2mm allen wrench
allen socket for the right camshaft (6mm maybe?)
C-Clamp

1. Remove the air intake.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
2. Remove the coolant reservoir by taking out the two screws at the top.
3.Remove the fans. There is an electrical connector at the bottom and to the outsides of each fan. I believe you pull the tab out and pull the connectors apart, as opposed to the more common push kind. There are some bolts at the top.
4. Drain the coolant at the lower passenger side of the radiator. Unbolt the radiator at the top, disconnect the hoses and remove it.
5. Take off the belt cover.
6. Take off the V belts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7. Remove the crankshaft pulley. You'll need an impact wrench or a strap wrench to hold the pulley still. You'll need a 22mm socket.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8. Take off the timing belt covers. Note that the one with the blue arrow is shorter than the rest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
9. Reinstall the crankshaft pulley and rotate the engine until all the timing marks line up. This way you can see how the engine was timed prior to having to do it. Note that the crankshaft pulley is keyed. Do not start threading the bolt until you have the pulley in place.

crankshaft timing:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upper Left:
Notice that the lines on the old belt are all rubbed off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Middle Right:
Note that everything was not perfectly aligned after I got the crankshaft timed. Things were just slightly off. The crankshaft is what I timed when I removed the belt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12. Remove the timing belt.
13. Remove the hydraulic belt tensioner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
14. Compress the hydraulic belt tensioner pin. The manual says to use a vertical press, but I did it with a C-clamp. You're supposed to do it over 3 minutes time, so take your time and compress it slowly. Once you get it down, use a 2mm allen wrench to secure the pin in place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
15. Remove the water pump outlet hose, thermostat cover, and then the water pump. Note that some of the bolts are hidden from view.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
16. Clean the mating surface on the engine. Put your new thermostat into your new water pump. Make sure you transfer the rubber seal on the side of the old water pump to the new water pump. The arrow shows where it should go, though I forgot to put it on. Your new water pump should come with a new gasket. Connect your hoses first then push a few bolts through and put the gasket onto it. Then lightly thread the bolts in. Make sure you get all the bolts in as two of them are out of sight when the water pump is mounted!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
17. Give the engine a good cleaning and clean off all the idlers and sprockets. Feel the sprockets to make sure there are no burs are sharp points to cut the belt.

18. Reinstall the idler to 29 foot lbs. Use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
19. Go find a buddy for the extra hands. First I lined up on the crankshaft. Place the belt tensioner onto the belt to help hold it in place. It's easier if you don't install the tensioner yet. Note that your new belt will have lines that correspond to the timing marks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
20. Route the belt over the left side and get it timed correctly. Keep the belt tight.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts