ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been a proud owner of an 06 WRX for the last 15 years. My car is running a stage 3 from Cobb and only has 12K on the odometer. I have been worrying about my timing belt snapping due to old age. I went online and found that it should be replaced after 7 to 10 yrs regardless of mileage. My car has spent most of its life in a garage. The garage doesn't get very hot or cold and the car is only driven about 150 miles yearly. I do plan on getting my car in the 500 hp range eventually. I do drive the car pretty hard when I take it out, so I don't know if the extra output has prematurely stretch the belt. The car is running fine at the moment.

My questions are:
1. Should I really worry about the belt being deteriorated due to age?

2. If I change the belt at 12K miles, do I also need to change everything else recommended (water pump, tensioner, bearings,)?

3. Are the high performance belts made by Greddy and HKS worth the extra money over OEM?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
1. Should I really worry about the belt being deteriorated due to age?
Instead of worrying, I'd change the belt.

2. If I change the belt at 12K miles, do I also need to change everything else recommended (water pump, tensioner, bearings,)?
I'd be tempted to change the belt, water pump, all fluids, any cam seals that may be dried up and weeping, the crank seal if it's dried up and weeping, the thermostat since the water pump will be out anyway, and the two external belts. I'm torn on the tensioner so IDK about that. Do the math and see.

3. Are the high performance belts made by Greddy and HKS worth the extra money over OEM?
When people write "performance" I read "imitation" or "fake" instead. Don't use imitation parts.

Use authentic parts.

I used to use OEM-style Gates but their water pumps aren't to my liking any more (a Gates pump failed on me) so I've switched to Aisin. I'm coming up on another belt change myself and I've decided to stay with Aisin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your input. I am going to start gathering parts and finding a decent torque wrench.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
That's very nice!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow! Flawless06 I’m sure! I thought I had something special with my 06 since new and just about to hit 90k. I agree with sd gr, if you’re worried about it then change it. I guess that means I’m way overdue for belts, clutch, etc, etc, etc since never done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts