ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '11 STI. I have winter rims/tires on it now, but I usually change over the end of March to my summers. My stock tires are bald on the inside, so I need new ones.

TireRack has the stock STI tires for $268/tire. I loved them, but to be honest, I have never bought really good tires before so I am pretty sure these are the best I have ever had. My only complaint is the life of the tires was too short. I got about 18K on them.

I love the STI for what it is, so I would rather not give up too much performance but I really want something that will last longer.

Does anyone have opinions on tires (for my stock BBS rims) that handle well, don't wear out in 15k miles, and don't cost me an arm and a leg?

On tirerack, I see "Extreme performance summer" "Max performance summer" and "ultra high, high performance" etc etc.... I know I don't want all-seasons, but I am confused what the difference between extreme, max, and ultra high are.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,476 Posts
Wear and grip are the differences. Look at their tests for the max category and consider their best tested with the highest wear number. Don't bother with their reader reviews. Extreme are stickier but tend to wear most.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so in general - will a "max" last longer than an extreme, but not grip as well?

I have always wanted to track the car - but I haven't yet and at best think I will do it once in the time I own it; so I am looking for tires that feel good while driving "spirited" to and from work.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,476 Posts
In general that is the idea, yes.

Track days can eat a new set within hours sometimes. Other times you can do the day, drive home, and keep the same set into the next year. Depends.

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
This. All performance tires sacrifice some amount of life for greater grip. The Hankook Ventus V12 Evos will perform with the best of them for a low price ($87 per tire in 225/45/17). The only complaint is that the sidewalls are a little squishy, but despite the feel the tires will continue to grip.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
What's your budget for tires? I don't know OE size of '11 STIs, so I'm basing my prices around the 245/40/17 I run in the summer (EDIT: the two lower-end tires went up ~$25/tire since I last priced them). That said, here are my recommendations...

Under $125/tire: Sell your STI :p

~$125/tire: Hankook V12 Evos. Decent tire with spectacular wet grip. As mentioned, a bit soft on the sidewalls which makes the tire not feel as good, but it's not bad. It'll be tough to beat, if you're looking for mild DD / weekend warrior. I've got ~20K miles on these, and they still have a year or two left.

~$175/tire: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. Good tire with good wet grip. Not quite the tread life of some others, but it isn't awful (expect 20-25K). For more aggressive street driving, these are better than the V12s.

~$200/tire: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. These tires will be better than almost anything else shy of R-Comps. Great dry grip, decent wet grip. Tread life should be in the 15-20K range. While this is about what you got out of the OE tires, these are a different class of tires. Depending on what tires you had previously, the jump in grip may be similar.

Bridgestone RE-11s are ~$150 more than the AD08s, and I couldn't justify them since they are pretty even in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I don't plan to get Direzzas again. They were very fun but heavy and wear pretty fast.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports sound like a good value with the $70 rebate (until tomorrow!)

What We Liked: "Wow" handling and ultimate traction
What We'd Improve: Soften the ride just a little on big bumps to make everyday commuting more civilized
Conclusion: This is the new super star in the Max Performance Summer category
Latest Test Rank: 1st
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Continental ExtremeContact DWs - sounds like they wear well and a bit squishy but excellent grip. They are affordable. One thing that draws me is they are only 20 pounds each - six pounds less each than the Dunlop!.

·
Registered
141 Posts
you can only compare wear ratings of tires from the same manufacturer.

My first choice would be the Hankook ventus v12 evo. i was going to replace the Michelin pilot sport ps2 on my G8 with these but i ended up buying my WRX instead. $184 per tire for your STi.

My second choice would be the Bridgestone Potenze RE-11. looks like it might have a pretty stiff sidewall, and slightly lower treadware rating than the hankooks above. i had no complaints of the bridgestone re050 that came factory on the G8, i also had the s0-4 pole positions without complaint.

The bridgestones all wore out pretty quick, along with the pilot sport ps2. i would go through 2 rears in a summer. pretty aggressive driving.

I was also interested in the goodyear f1 asymetric, but they dont have ratings on them yet.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Hmmm - tire buyer has the Contintental ExtremeContact DW in my size (225) for $140 with free shipping (-$15 ea) and they come with a free manufacturer's road hazard (-$15 ea). Basically it comes to $110 ea. for tirerack's 2nd in the max performance summer class - sounds like my huckleberry.

I never buy road hazard, and that has worked out economically at least 5 fold, but I did just have to replace and have shaved one of my winter tires ($130) so the free road hazard is a major plus.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport gets high reviews on tirerack, but it isn't a best seller. The specs claim they offer better treadware than anyone else. Anybody have any experience with these?

They are expensive, but still cheaper than the originals... I find it interesting the average person who bought from tirerack won't recommend buying the originals again.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
This. All performance tires sacrifice some amount of life for greater grip. The Hankook Ventus V12 Evos will perform with the best of them for a low price ($87 per tire in 225/45/17). The only complaint is that the sidewalls are a little squishy, but despite the feel the tires will continue to grip.
^^ This...

I have them, and yes... the sidewalls are VERY squishy... But they do grip well

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport gets high reviews on tirerack, but it isn't a best seller. The specs claim they offer better treadware than anyone else. Anybody have any experience with these?

They are expensive, but still cheaper than the originals... I find it interesting the average person who bought from tirerack won't recommend buying the originals again.
I had Pilot a/s sport+'s and I would recommend them to anyone wanting a high performance all season.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts

The Michelins sound great from the ratings - I have found tire rack's top tires typically live up to their descriptions. As I mentioned above, the rebate makes them a contender but I don't want to buy tires by tomorrow.

Look up the bridgestone RE92 that came on my car - they are a joke and they cost 3X the tires we are talking about.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWs - sounds like they wear well and a bit squishy but excellent grip. They are affordable. One thing that draws me is they are only 20 pounds each - six pounds less each than the Dunlop!.
i have them. almost no wear in...hmmm +15k? grip is very good, ride is extremely good and yes they are light!!! people keep saying they are squishy because of a soft side wall (less steel bands in the side wall= lower weight) but i dont feel it with 245/35/18's. at 32psi and such a low profile wall there is no room for flex. i think i paid $160-170 and got a free $100 Flip camera with them.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
i have them. almost no wear in...hmmm +15k? grip is very good, ride is extremely good and yes they are light!!! people keep saying they are squishy because of a soft side wall (less steel bands in the side wall= lower weight) but i dont feel it with 245/35/18's. at 32psi and such a low profile wall there is no room for flex. i think i paid $160-170 and got a free $100 Flip camera with them.
Sounds good enough for me.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I have these (on my 911 not my STI) and I won't be buying them again. They don't get near the treadwear they claim, and performance is iffy at best.

The OEM tires on my STI did very well on the track, though I did basically entirely eat up the set in one track day.

I'm going to be sticking with Continental or Michelin tires going forward most likely, though I really liked the Dunlop KDW2 tires I had on my old STi.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have these (on my 911 not my STI) and I won't be buying them again. They don't get near the treadwear they claim, and performance is iffy at best.

The OEM tires on my STI did very well on the track, though I did basically entirely eat up the set in one track day.

I'm going to be sticking with Continental or Michelin tires going forward most likely, though I really liked the Dunlop KDW2 tires I had on my old STi.

The OEM doing well on the track and wearing fast is consistent with everything I have read. Like I said, I loved the tires brand new - but they wore too fast and I think the road noise got louder as they got older.

Which way are you leaning... Michelin or Continental?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
^^ This...

I have them, and yes... the sidewalls are VERY squishy... But they do grip well
Seems to be a common complaint, in my experience, with Hankook. Grips well, but the sidewalls are quite squishy. A friend of mine ran the Ventus RS3's for autox and summer duty last year, they weren't the greatest on a heavy car (2010 Mustang GT) for cornering because of the flex, but the overall grip was good.

As for me I think I'm going with the Star Specs this year as I'll be making it to more AutoX events. But the Kumho Ecsta XS's look like a good option as well... choices, choices.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts