Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time do you think it would take to take off the turbo and port the wastegate? My mechanic is saying 4 hours to take it off and port it. Does that sound about right?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You can get the turbo off within an hour with hand tools. Never ported a turbo so cant tell you how long that takes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
To do a good job with a dremel take about an hour . Take your time with the porting . You do not want to slip with the dremel and scrape the face of the wastegate opening where the flapper seats or you will leak boost through it all the time .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not to hi-jack but did you guys take your turbo apart to port it or did you just port it. Thanks

FF

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
afpdl - what kind of tools would I need to take it off? I've never done anything like this (plus I don't have a dremel) so I think I'm going to take the turbo to Batlgrounds in Atlanta, and let them do it. I figure if they can cram an RB26 into a 350Z they can do a good job porting a wastegate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I borrowed a TD04 from a friend (Pardon me, could a borrow a cup of turbo?) and sent mine off to Deadbolt. Top notch work and no more creep. A turbo can be taken off in under 20 minutes if you've done it a few times. Putting it back on can take 45 minutes to 4 hours all depending on 2 things: that F-bombing lower part of the oil return line on the metal stem and the IC piping omn the flanges. I might just get a FMIC so I don't have to look at hose darn pipes again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Could someone post step by or photos of how to remove the exhaust housing? Porting is no problem just never had a turbo apart before.

·
Registered
312 Posts
lobelsteve said:
...and the IC piping omn the flanges. I might just get a FMIC so I don't have to look at hose darn pipes again.
omg, amen. i HATE putting that thing back on. :mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
My friend does alot of aftermarket work on the side. He's an STi mechanic at my dealership. It took him about an hour and a half to take off the turbo, port the wastegate and reinstall it. He works like a machine though.

To the average mechanically inclined person I'd estimate ~2-3 hrs to do.

I think ~25-35 minutes was spent on the porting.

Definately cured my boost creep. WOT 1-6th gears in 5 degree weather on an empty highway. Boost peaked at .11mpa :)

If anyone lives nearby, he does installs and wastegate ports if anyone needs it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts