ClubWRX Forum banner

Dumba$$?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may have heard about a year ago I bought a new 06' TR and pretty much decided to leave it stock and not screw with anything mechanical for fear of ending up in the poor house fixing broken shti every other week. Also, having done up my 02 to high hell a few years ago, I was relieved to be able to drive around a stock, factory-spec vehicle for a while that had literally nothing wrong with it.

Well today, I allowed my mind to wander and found my way to my local dealership's website looking at their used selection. Turns out they had recently bought an '04 STi from another dealership and only wanted $21k for it. I still owed $19k on my 06, so I thought if I could get them down on the price a bit I could basically just trade out my car and keep my payments the same while upgrading to an STi, albeit an older model.

Went in and found that the car had some stuff done to it, most notably a full TEIN coilover setup, some sort of bumpin' kenwood system complete with flip out control head, Dynamat, and extra speakers wired in. It also has the best performance mod on the market, an AEM ram air intake (at least it isn't a CAI). It has the SPT catback on it and limo tint on all 4 windows and rear windscreen. I'm thinking about losing the tint and certainly losing the intake. If anyone has a stock STi airbox they want to swap for, the intake is all new and shiny looking and I'd be willing to do a straight up swap if we each eat the shipping on our respective parts, resonator not necessary.

Anyway, long story short they gave me a good deal on my trade in considering it needs a tire replaced (god damned nail in the sidewall) and I was able to talk the guy down from 21k to $18,750. The car is as cherry as you could hope for in an '04, the paint is literally flawless all around except for some light pollution on the front end from dried on bugs (claybar/wetsand will totally annihilate this), it also has 85% new toyo proxes on it, a definite plus. It's got 72k on the odo, which is the only reason I'm kind of slapping myself, but after driving it and taking over 2 hours picking it apart with the techs (which btw said the thing is mint internally) I'm convinced that won't be a huge issue. Plus, I always have equity in the suspension if I decide to put it back to stock I can make a buck or two that way to spend on repairs if need be. Anyhoo, here's some lame camera phone pics. It runs like a raped ape...definitely a different beast than my 06 TR was, less of a smooth linear power delivery like the late model cars, more of a neck-snap effect from the early days. Having not driven an '04 STi in a while, it's refreshing to feel how much more taught the driveline is. Cool, I accept criticism and praise equally.

~Tim

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Welcome back.

My only comment is obviously trading in a 1-2 year old car for a 3-4 year old car with higher miles.

None the less it sounds like you are happy and in the end that's what matters. You got a decent price on the STI IMHO and could probaly turn around and make a grand or two if need be.

I'm waiting for 95% of this forum to try and figure out who you are.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahah, I know, I'm still wondering how long till something dumb breaks and I feel like a turd for doing this. As for my general popularity level, I refer you to the poll I added...

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
Keep the TR, son. Who the hell are you, anyway?

(welcome back)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I already did it....I dunno if that came through in my first post. I was driving it around tonight and checking out all the little quirks. Suspension is way less of a harsh ride than I had anticipated. All the fluids look brand new as well, so that's reassuring. I know the 06 was probably a better investment, but this car is definitely more fun.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Well, I already did it....I dunno if that came through in my first post. I was driving it around tonight and checking out all the little quirks. Suspension is way less of a harsh ride than I had anticipated. All the fluids look brand new as well, so that's reassuring. I know the 06 was probably a better investment, but this car is definitely more fun.
Oh, well now I feel like a **** for telling you to keep the 06. lol

I didn't get that in the first post....congrats. Yeah, the tein flex spring rates are nice in 04, brutal in 05.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Cool! Welcome back. :)

<===enviousandmaysomedaydoasimilardealtofinallygetanSTI

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
If that is what you want ... go for it. :) Sounds like you already have made up your mind.

• Fat, dumb, and stupid is no way to go through life son.
  • [Beyoncé voice] UPGRADE!!! [/Beyoncé voice]
  • Who are you and why do I care?
  • I like bewbies.
A misssing poll choice.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Stealth quoted then he deleted the post? I'm confused.
Spammers came on, this afternoon. I banned them then deleted their posts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts