·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah struts are very simple just teh 2 bolts holding them to the knuckle the nut and bolt were 19 mm then the top mounts were 12 mm i believe then just finagle it out watch for your abs wires and brake lines and do an alignment after and you wont have to do any spring compressing either...lucky :D

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
yea haha ive lowered two cars before and they werent too bad. this should just be a swap wont have to wrestle the springs lol.my jeep lift kit the springs were like2 feet and sucked to compress lol

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You need to budget for some new struts too. Not sure how many miles are on your car, but the lowered springs are going to wear out your stock struts pretty fast.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea its got 123xxx miles on it, still no check engine light has come on either which is amazing i think. But i have the money i just dont want to spend all that money at one time figured i; like you said budget my self take it one thing at a time and i work at a shop so i can always come on my day off and put some new struts in at some point. My next investment will be a sway bar 25 mm for the front and 22 for the rear. Then struts when things get a little to harsh to drive around.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Looks good!

What's a check engine light have to do with springs/struts? :rotfl:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not a durn thing lol i was just thinking how reliable my car has been just kinda popped into my head.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
So are you still running the original struts at 123k miles?

New struts should be on your list way before new sways. That's like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
so how do they ride on stock shocks? im thinking of getting the htechs but putting them on kyb gr-2's
Not to knock the OP (or you) but these are about the worst springs you can get for a Subaru. Stick with some quality units, and go for something other than those KYB's which are meant for stock spring heights, not lowered springs.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
im also viewing another thread about lowering springs too and looking into swift or epic springs, but dont know what shocks. i dont really want to spend over a grand for the setup but hate being slammed. its only my 3rd day of being stupid low and its not that fun lol.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
i want my ride height to be about as low as his htech pics^^ maybe alittle lower, but not with the fender going over the tire like i have now. just flush would be the lowest.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Not to knock the OP (or you) but these are about the worst springs you can get for a Subaru. Stick with some quality units, and go for something other than those KYB's which are meant for stock spring heights, not lowered springs.
At least they aren't S-Techs...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts

^This.. the OEM struts are already pretty worn out by 60k miles, so they should be replaced at 100k regardless of ride height (lowering will kill them quick though). The KYB GR-2s are meant as stock replacement struts, so lowering springs will kill them as well. I would at least go with KYB AGX struts (that's what I currently have) or Tokico D-Specs (better handling than AGX) and RCE, Swift, or Epic springs. Tein springs have a very bad name in the Subaru community for a long time now.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
epic springs are made for stock struts though
Bottom line is...if you lower the car on the stock struts, you're going to put substantially more stress on them, which in turn is going to wear them out even quicker. Made for stock or not, they will wear out.

Stock struts on my STI are gone, and I'm at stock height on stock springs. They are a wear item that break down over time, just like brake pads/rotors, clutches, etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The h techs are completely fine for what i wanted to do with my car. I dont auto-x or track its my dd i wanted better handling, a spring that wasnt too stiff i didnt want a rough ride, and a nice drop and i got all 3 of those i havent read really any bad reviews on the h techs except people thought the spring rate wasn't high enough but they shoulda looked into that before they bought them. the rce yellows i woulda had to buy all kinda crap to make them fit and the swifts were exactly the same excpet a lighter spring rate but 100 dollars more. I got the bang for my buck

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but FWIW I've got 65k miles on my H-techs and 25k on GR-2's with no problems at all. Love the ride height and handling, and no sag at all in almost 5 years of driving. Not sure where the bad name comes from, but for a daily driver I think the setup is fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts