Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep hearing this noise from the drivers side. I can't figure out what it is. The ticking becomes louder and more frequent as rpms increase. I think it might be the vacuum hose from the boost gauge hitting something, but it seems really loud for it to be that. You can't hear it when you rev the engine standing still. help anyone?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Mine does the same thing. So did my Outback, and my mom's Outback, and my sister's Outback (yeah Suby family!). On all of those engines, it's just the belts and pulleys spinning around. Of course your problem could be something entirely different. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
I HOPE SO :eek: . I noticed it right away before I bought it. I made the sales dude start 5 different cars up. :D . since its getting colder in michigan now... i have noticed it being more. I start my car and let it run for 5 or so minutes, Then BOOST all the way to Work!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Did the other cars that the salesman start make the sound? If not it may be the Timing Belt Tensioner. Mine was bad car made a knocking noise when cold that would go away after warm up.
From what I've seen this is a fairly common problem and dealer has no problem fixing under warranty.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm... it's strange becuase it's only been happening for the last couple thousand miles. The noise isn't really that of "all" boxers since none of the porsche's i've been in made that noise.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
completely normal. porshes make the "tick" too.

i like it. does get a little noisier when cold, but so doesn't the sound of all engine operating (until you're at operating temp)

dR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts