ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my car is 2 months old and has 6900 miles on it already (yeah I know its alot) Oil changes and maintenence have been stellar and regular (Mobil 1 only) and I only use 93 octane. The only thing I have done so far is remove the sorkus and get a K&N drop in. The other morning when I started my car I noticed that when it idled and only for the first few minutes I was driving that there is now an oh-so-slight knocking/ticking comming from the engine, as the car warmed up it went away...is this normal???? Also sometimes if I havent driven the car all day it doesn;t start up as quickly as I would think a more or less brand new vehicle would....is this normal??? thanks guys - Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
I noticed this tapping sound as well. Sometimes, it doesn't go away when the engine warms up. Does seems to be worse in colder weather.:eek3:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tahnks guys - I figured it was normal and my car was just finally broken in so I can hear a few more things now - greatly appreciated as always - peace - Dan

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
you know whats weird. A couple of months ago there was a thread on this and i stated that my 04 rex had the ticking problem too. Everyone stated that it was normal and its just either something to do with valves, fuel injection, etc. I just dunno? But it was pretty loud and annoying and I had to live with it. But now I have the STI and for some unforseen reason... there is no ticking sound. Well there is if you have the hood open and ear next to the engine but not as loud as my 04 rex. Had some people on I club that went back and had warranty repairs done. Some went away while others said the noise remained. One guy even had the engine replaced under warranty. Noise went away after that

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Well, it depends on the noise. The problem being, no one really knows how to describe a noise very well. There is a normal ticking noise with the flat 4 that will even out as the car warms up. Whether or not that's what you're hearing is hard to say. 9 out of 10 new WRX owners ask about it though, so that's why you get the "It's normal, n00b!" reply.

For the startup issue, turn the key to ON and listen for the fuel pump to stop priming. It's pretty loud, so you should be able to hear it pretty easily. In my car, it stops priming at about the same time that the CD player starts playing. Once it's done, crank the engine and it should fire right up. Works like a charm :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wade-0 said:
For the startup issue, turn the key to ON and listen for the fuel pump to stop priming. It's pretty loud, so you should be able to hear it pretty easily. In my car, it stops priming at about the same time that the CD player starts playing. Once it's done, crank the engine and it should fire right up. Works like a charm :)
I do this too, even when it isn't cold. Even my remote starter waits for the fuel pump to start up. Then you hit it and it pops on. I've actually had people ask me how my car starts up with so little cranking :D

Yeah, the boxer 4 is known for its quirky noises. Not the smoothest sounding engine, but it's worth it. If it bothers you, take it to the dealer. Worst thing they can say is that its nothing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well I meant it in a different way. Worst, like that sucks you wasted your time, but good, like if it IS something they can fix it, probably under warranty bc he doesn't have much done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts