Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Jdm 02-03 v7 ej205 rev a/b motor I bought. Had a bad turbo making knock noise. Flushed the motor and now it makes a tick/ knock noise. It’s not as loud as rod knock but sounds like a knock of some sort. I had the oil pan off and check the rods before I installed the motor and the bearings felt fine. The motor has a over heating issue aswell which I’ve narrowed down to a water pump. Idk if that could be making the noise or what’s your guys opinion. Also put thicker oil and motor honey in it and still makes the noise which in theory if it was rod knock the noise would of got quieter or went away. So idk I guess help me diagnose

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
This is a Jdm 02-03 v7 ej205 rev a/b motor I bought. Had a bad turbo making knock noise. Flushed the motor and now it makes a tick/ knock noise. It’s not as loud as rod knock but sounds like a knock of some sort. I had the oil pan off and check the rods before I installed the motor and the bearings felt fine. The motor has a over heating issue aswell which I’ve narrowed down to a water pump. Idk if that could be making the noise or what’s your guys opinion. Also put thicker oil and motor honey in it and still makes the noise which in theory if it was rod knock the noise would of got quieter or went away. So idk I guess help me diagnose
Overheating and knock.

The knock could be bearings, lifters or piston slap.

Piston slap goes away as the engine warms, lifter tap doesn't but is obvious. Bearings usually start throwing codes and the vehicle will be down in power. Thicker oil doesn't really solve any of that. It CAN quiet bearings but not entirely.

If it's overheating, and you've overheated it really good it's going to need work. Heads probably warped meaning you'll need to have a machine shop resurface. Ideally same with the block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overheating and knock.

Piston slap goes away as the engine warms, lifter tap doesn't but is obvious. Bearings usually start throwing codes and the vehicle will be down in power. Thicker oil doesn't really solve any of that. It CAN quiet bearings but not entirely.

If it's overheating, and you've overheated it really good it's going to need work. Heads probably warped meaning you'll need to have a machine shop resurface. Ideally same with the block.
The noise doesn’t go away with warming up so I know it’s not piston slap and it didn’t have any code just 2 eBay codes and I haven’t driven it yet due to the overheating but I shut the car off when it does to prevent damage. Gonna throw a new water pump in and hope it fixed the issue hoses are hot but the radiator is cold and it’s a new radiator so I’m pretty sure it’s not clogged

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overheating and knock.

Also here’s a video of what it sounds like on the under side not sure. Personally I think it’s rod knock but it doesn’t sound like any I’ve heard and doesn’t sound like the motor that was originally in the car that was knocking bad.

·
In Æternum
17,155 Posts
Does the sound increase with intensity and speed when the engine is revved?

That doesn't sound like rod knock to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the sound increase with intensity and speed when the engine is revved?

That doesn't sound like rod knock to me.
Yeah it does kind but mainly speeds up to a point but then cant hear it. But idk if it’s cause it goes away or because of the exhaust leak I have

·
In Æternum
17,155 Posts
Yeah it does kind but mainly speeds up to a point but then cant hear it. But idk if it’s cause it goes away or because of the exhaust leak I have
Rod knock (spun bearing) would only get progressively worse, not go away or smooth out..

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Rod knock (spun bearing) would only get progressively worse, not go away or smooth out..
I can 100% from experience say this isn't explicitly true. When my old lady blew up her stratus it would get smooth then rough again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts