Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ticking at idle?

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  mycologist 
#1 ·
My 02 wrx engine is making a weird clicking sound at idle. It's very slow, only once every 2-3 seconds. Doesn't sound like it happens while driving, but my exhaust is pretty loud so I don't know. As far as I can tell it sounds loudest from the underside. I cant find any videos on youtube that sound the same so I'll try to have one up later. I think it may even continue past shutdown. The car drives fine, besides this noise I notice nothing else unusual.

#5 ·
OK I put on my headphones and yeah that is different than what I was referring to. Sounds like the exhaust heating up or maybe something contacting the exhaust etc.. It doesn't sound internal from here and it is very intermittent but I can't be sure. Does it sound the same as the exhaust tinks you hear when it is hot and you turn it off?

#6 ·
It sounds a little similar to that, I actually thought I heard it after I turned the engine off too but I couldnt tell because of the various similar sounds right after the engine is shut off. Ill try to go out tonight and pinpoint it more after work.

#16 ·
So you are technically due on time but not on miles. I personally consider that as significantly less important than miles but it is there.

From someone who is still keeping up a 1998 Outback as well though, I can only say that chasing after sounds that aren't affecting anything while driving isn't an economic approach. Other than maintance items like the timing belt there isn't anything you can do anyway and you're probably over 100K miles away from and issue beyond that. If it is an external part you should be able to locate it but just because it is ticking doesn't mean it is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.