ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys ever notice on really cold mornings < 35* that when you apply any throttle you hear a light tick tick tick tick that ticks really fast?

It seems consistent in timing and also loudness so it's definately not DET as my Utec doesn't hear it...also it doesn't increase with engine speed so I don't think it's anything with the engine...

Was wondering if maybe it's the electronic throttle body or something cuz it goes away the second I let off the gas and starts up right after I give it throttle.

Normal? Guessing so but just want to confirm.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
yea mine does that too. when its cold out and i hit the gas but goes away soon as i let off. Man i tell you my car makes some pretty weird noises when its cold and then goes away when warm. but i havent had a problem so most likely normal, as i dont get them on a spring or summer day at all. i cant complain its been -15 degrees and its started fine and so on. but to your question yea im pretty sure its normal , now what is the cause i have noo clue. :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I just pulled a Fadi I'm so embarrased.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Dream said:
:rotfl:

btw: I dont get this tick tick tick sound on my 05 :confused:
cause my friend you dont have exhaust and you havent quite "broken it in" yet :p

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Dream said:
I have a Invidia d/p with 4k on the clock.
you havent raped your car yet.
heres a mission

do a 6k launch and then hit fuel cut in 5th gear :p

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
no that only you would do fadi, or some moron ;)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Dream said:
No wonder your car is messed! :confused1
lol nothings wrong with my car i didnt even do that lol i jsut hit fuel cut sucka i dont hear that noise at all i hear it on fahds car

·
Registered
460 Posts
WRXout said:
lol nothings wrong with my car i didnt even do that lol i jsut hit fuel cut sucka i dont hear that noise at all i hear it on fahds car
right...keep telling yourself there's nothing wrong with your car! :rotfl:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ticking when cold most likely is due to vibration on your heat shielding for headers/turbo etc.. Engines tend to vibrate a little more when they are cold. If you have put aftermarket parts on your car and have removed and replaced heat shielding, this can usually cause it to be a little 'loose' or out of place from when the car was original manufactured. The best advice would be to get sturdy heat shielding (cusco makes a nice one for the turbo) or if you have aftermarket headers, get them coated or wrapped.

And yes I too experienced the ticking sound :)

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
mine does the same ticking sound.

No Worries....Greg. ;)

Love ya, :tongue:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
ive heard the same ticking around 1800-2000rpm when i give it gas. moving or not. i was getting all worried, but apparently its nothing serious. phew.

·
Registered
236 Posts
FWIW, Subaru's have notorious valvetrain noise...

happens on my STi with 40k miles and has since ~1000 miles. Happens on my (families) 98OBL as well as every other Subaru I have ever drive that had more than 1000 miles on it.

... but it still isn't as bad as the maladjusted rockers in my old '90 Accord

1 - 20 of 24 Posts