Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little disappointed the WRX doesn't have some sort of built-in way of reading ECU codes... but anyway, being I have no cats, I'm betting big on it's being a P0420. Kinda weird that it wouldn't happen for over 3,000 miles though. At any rate, I suppose I'll need to go to AutoZone in the morning to have them read it. My question is, where are they going to need to plug into? I would bet big also on them not knowing where to plug into my WRX to read the code.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Built in way to read codes? What OBD-II vehicles have this as regular equipment?

Anyway - the OBD II port is federally mandated to be within a certain area of the vehicle (within a prescribed distance from the steering wheel) - so the tech. shouldn't have much trouble finding it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I ran with only the third cat for many miles before the P0420 CEL appeared.

It won't come on until you take a relatively long trip.

misterx

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MisterX said:
I ran with only the third cat for many miles before the P0420 CEL appeared.

It won't come on until you take a relatively long trip.

misterx
See that's the weird thing.... I've taken multiple 400 mile+ road trips, never to see a CEL. And on a 20 mile trip, relatively traffic like driving I got it. So weird.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hokie: did you just have them turn off the CEL? and are you going to get an eliminator, if so what CEL fix are you going to get? I'm going to be catless in a few weeks and would like to hear what fix's i need to buy when the cel appears...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had them clear it for now... I will let you know what fix I go with, I'm going to do some research tonight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have a clue what resistor this uses? Seems like I could go to Radio shack and buy the same thing for a lot less.. correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey,,and if i want my car to stop the 0420 CEL,,but i want it to detect other CEL that may be caused by malfunction.
How can i stop this CEL and keep my car good?
thanks
tuca

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The pony express mil eliminator is $20.00. It installs under the car in the O2 sensor wiring and is a neat weatherproof package.

I think you'd find it difficult to design a competing product yourself for less money. Should you be successful in the endeavor, please call me and I'll invest a few bucks to take the item to market.

You may also want to consider the ILP Performance offering.

In terms of Tuca's question, I'm not sure I understand. If you install a MIL eliminator, the only CEL you'll avoid is the cat inefficency CEL. Yopur car will tell you what's wrong should another problem arise.

I have a pocketlogger to read CELs. Once you reach a certain level of modification, you need to be able to see what's happening in the ECU. The pocketlogger is the minimum you can do in that regard. Of course, you might want a delta dash or something like that.

misterx

·
1,263 Posts
The MIL eleminator simply gives the ECU a nice safe false O2 reading. I don't use this because I tap the rear O2 sensor for my A/F gauge. If I did this MIL - I would have a single reading the whole time on the gauge (useless).

I also warn against people just driving around waiting for a CEL to go out, hoping that it is the PO0420 cat efficiency code. Buy an OBD-II scanner that allows you to read and clear the codes. You may be driving around thinking you have a PO0420 and be throwing other codes and have no indications.

When my CEL comes on I know how I have been driving and when it came on - I can check it, clear it and go back to happy driving.

I had a small meet at my place one day and offered to clear the codes from other cars and they all had CELs, but were:
"Its OK ***the vendor**** said that was normal, it is the PO0420 code because of the lack of cats"

On all bar one of their cars, there were misfire codes, high EGT codes and overboost codes that they did not know about.

I do not think this is a smart thing to do.

My $0.02 (please add 6.75% tax if you are a MO resident!)

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aussieinstlouis said:
Hey hokiewrx, what did your TXS race pipe cost?

I want one!

Cheers,

Andrew
:D .. I got the TXS SB w/ the race pipe, so I am not sure of the individual price. I know Garret from World One can probably offer it at a really great price. I actually need to buy the cat pipe for inspection time, grr...

Thanks for your advice, really sound logic... I think I will look for a odb2 reader / logger... maybe the delta dash...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a UTEC on order..
Can i use it to get those codes??
What is the cheapest code scanner for our vehicles?
thanks
tuca

1 - 20 of 21 Posts