ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide if it's bad to buy a modded wrx when most of the mods are ones that I would like to do someday. I swear I saw a thread that raised a similar question a while ago but I can't find it now.

I've always thought that when I buy a wrx I would like to take it to stage II. Well, I found a 03' that is already at stage II with some other mods. The guy seems pretty knowledgeable about the car and the mods he did. No signs of a bov or cai! He did autocross it for a season and won his division...so at least he knows how to drive. He said he's going to replace the front rotors and pads and put new struts in the rear before selling it. Should I pass on this just because it's been modded? Or should I give it a chance since it's already at stage II and would save me $$ from doing it myself?

Here is a list of mods the car has: from the ad

"Its an '03 WRX Sedan, 5spd, ~63,000miles. All the factory options (armrest extension, boost gauge, short throw shifter).

Currently for mods:

17x8 rota torques in hyper silver
front and rear perrin adjustable sway bars
eibach coil springs
front and rear strut tower bars
sti replica grille insert
rallyarmour mud flaps
lightly smoked tail lights and corner lights
blacked out headlight housings

Also currently installed is a catless uppipe, catless invidia 3" bellmouth downpipe, and hks hi-power 3" exhaust. I still have the entire stock exhaust system (uppipe, downpipe, full exhaust) if needed. also have a ver1 cobb accessport, which i used to run stage 1, 2 and stx maps.

The exhaust can be removed and stock system installed, as well as accessport returned to stock, if requested by potential buyer.

Autocrossed the car last year, 8 or 9 times. won the stx championship in my first year out in the snake river scca region.

I'm the 3rd owner, bought it in march of 2007 with 50k miles. Clean title. "

I would love to hear your thoughts on this car. For those of you who autocross a lot, do you feel like your car is a ticking time bomb from the added stress of racing? I feel like autocross is better than drag racing the thing...at least for the tranny.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I always opted for buying a stock vehicle. Sure he could be knowledgable and have installed it all correctly and drove it great. BUT, it was upgraded and im sure it was driven hard. You do not know how hard, or if he is an actor and really just beat the heck out of it and wants to sell it before it breaks. I would continue the search for a stock car, be patient, it will pay off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you're probably right. I shouldn't try and talk myself into buying what I said I wasn't looking for. I would prefer stock. Even if I find a car that is stock though, who's to say that the previous owner didn't just return it to stock after beating it to death. The search continues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea try to look for a stock car if possible, but you may want to give that car a shot if that's what you want.

I think my car was modded and just brought back to stock (didn't notice until later lol)....so far it's been good though, heh. I brought a friend who is pretty knowledgeable about cars along with me when I bought the car and we both checked it out and stuff.

So...I'd say check it out in person and bring a friend along with you. Test drive it, inspect it, and talk more to owner (and look at his face/body language...you can sometimes tell when someones lying :D)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will go look at it at least. If anything it will help me to compare with others that I have seen. The more I can look at the better because then I'll know a really good one when I see it.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I have some similar mods on my autox'd (well over 9 events) WRX and think it would be OK as I have kept up on the preventative maintenance.

Then again I am not sure what I would think if I were looking to buy the car not knowing anything about it. If you think the seller is being 100% honest with you it might be an OK buy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally went and looked at this car tonight. It looks pretty clean. He did put new rotors and pads on the front. He hadn't "broken" them in yet so I didn't drive it. He's going to replace the rear struts too before he sells it.

He has the stock springs and full stock exhaust. The car is setup on cobb stage 2 right now. Helix up, invidia dp, and hks catless for the rest. It's got eibach springs with the stock struts. He has front and rear sway bars and strut bars. I imagine it's a fairly stiff ride.

I like the car for the most part. I'm not crazy about how big the HKS exhaust is. The rear tails are smoked and i'm not crazy about those either. Other than that I really like it. I suppose I could sell the HKS and buy a different catback.

Other than the transmission, what parts should I be worried about wearing out sooner because of those mods and or the hard driving from autocross events? Would anyone recommend putting the stock springs back on so that the struts don't wear out as fast?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

This is mostly what I'm interested in.
"Other than the transmission, what parts should I be worried about wearing out sooner because of those mods and or the hard driving from autocross events? Would anyone recommend putting the stock springs back on so that the struts don't wear out as fast?"

So, the seller emailed me back and said he is replacing all 4 struts. He could put the stock springs back on while replacing the struts. He might also put the stock exhaust back on as well. I'm thinking if I can talk him down a couple thousand it might be worth looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts