What should I do about my fogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my bugeye back from the shop after I was hit on the front right. The bumper, right light, and right fog were all replaced.

When I bought the car, both fogs were pockmarked with rock chips, and the right side had hairline cracks, so I sprayed both with a thin layer of yellow enamel paint to protect them. It worked great and looked good. Now though, I have a brand spanking new right fog (clear, of course), and the old yellow one.

Trying to decide what to do now, so help me out in the poll!

I'm open to aftermarket lights, but I don't want driving lights in there. NW Oregon has lots of foggy gloomy weather, so real fogs come in handy. If you recommend aftermarket, please specify a specific brand and model. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i like yellow fogs, so i'm going to go with option1.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,220 Posts
Look at Hella 500.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Unless you use your fog lights, I would replace with covers. I eventually want to do this, or get hella's with removable covers or something like that.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you use your fog lights, I would replace with covers. I eventually want to do this, or get hella's with removable covers or something like that.
Yeah, I actually use them a lot. Like I said, Oregon weather isn't exactly tropical...

I like the Hellas a lot. I'm leaning toward those now. I loved having the yellow fogs, but I'm hesistant to paint a brand new OEM fog light. I'll likely remove both, attempt to remove the yellow painted tint, and then sell both.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Sounds like a good way to go. And the hella's will be brighter for your non tropical weather.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I say stick with the OEM clears. I get quite a bit of fog in the mornings up here north of Seattle and use mine a lot. Second choice would be an aftermarket set simply to increase the output.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so seems like people are pleased with the yellow. I think I will replace both with aftermarket, then look at less permanent tinting options like the Lamin-X.

The Hellas are less than half the cost of a single new OEM fog, so aftermarket is definitely the way to go.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,220 Posts
Factor in the cost of brackets for the Hellas but you are still spending less than OEM for better lamps.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Yeah, I actually use them a lot. Like I said, Oregon weather isn't exactly tropical..
HEY! You keep your damn part of the state in check, the southern portion is very tropical thank you! You northerners keep your crappy rain, fog and snow.,

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HEY! You keep your damn part of the state in check, the southern portion is very tropical thank you! You northerners keep your crappy rain, fog and snow.,
Apologies to our South and Eastern Oregon brethren. Portlanders tend to forget there even is an Eastern Oregon, although the Southern part of the state is nice.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
You should be banned for even talking about removing the most glorious part of a bugeye... the foglights. because after 03 they do not belong on an impreza.. all small and ugly.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should be banned for even talking about removing the most glorious part of a bugeye... the foglights. because after 03 they do not belong on an impreza.. all small and ugly.
This. It's like castrating the poor bugeye.

Yellow Hellas it is!

Sent from my Droid 2

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I understand where you guys are coming from about the fogs, but in Colorado, I almost never use them.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered the Hella 500FF fog light version (not the driving lights) from Amazon , and SMS adapter brackets from Rallylights.com today!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

After some shipping issues, I finally got the lights today. Hella includes just about everything you need, but I still had to use a few electrical couplers I had in my free stock, and of course tidied up the included wiring harness with wiring loom and heat shrink tube.

My real beef is with the Kartboy brackets. Yes, they do technically work and should hold the new lamps in a good spot, but the mounting holes are just barely off. I had to mill them out a tad. Also, they are slightly thicker than the stock foglight mounts, so the OEM hardware won't bite into the plate behind the foglight housing. (They use a weird 10mm sheetmetal type screw), so I'll have to buy longer hardware tomorrow. The other problem is that the main bolt on the 500s directly interferes with the back of the foglight housing, so I'll have to dremel out a clearance hole for it. The plastic housing is no problem, but the metal plate behind the housing could be an issue. I know I'm hacking in something that wasn't supposed to be there, but I kinda assumed it would be a one hour job. Guess not.

Anyways, here's what it looks like mocked up. I'll finish my tweaks to the harness tomorrow and get the clearance issues sorted out.

I decided against tinting them yellow for now. I talked with Daniel Stern, and he said the best way to get tinted light output was painting. He said all yellow H3 bulbs weren't worth the price, and the yellow films don't tint the light output much. We'll see, right now I just want them installed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts