Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 5-speed wagon. Any wagon owners willing to share their experiences?...Likes?...Dislikes?...Vehicle idiosyncrasies - e.g., heat damage like the sedan?

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the 5sp wagon and I love it. The looks on both are great, but the sedan edges the wagon out a little. I got the wagon because I put Skiis, Snowboards, and a bike on top. I think the sedan "feels" a little better, take that how ever you want. But over all I'm glad I got the Wagon. I think it just all depends on how you'll use it.

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: leelind ]

·
Registered
103 Posts
WRX wagon = faster trips to and from Home Depot. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was sweating getting the wagon until I saw one in person, and it still looked sharp. No wheel bulges though. But what sealed the deal for me was the additional cargo space and the fact that the sedan's rear seats don't fold down. I need a car that can haul more than a$$!! The down side is the wagon weighs 80# more, and from driving both it feels like that extra weight is up high in the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the wagons rule! #1 - the seats in the sedan do not fold down #2 - you save $500....i had to get it due to my gigs on the weekend as a drummer in a local band...you can't get a drumset in a sedan without taking out the passenger seat (with airbag....ouch!).....in regards to the extra weight....at over 3000 lbs, i don't think the extra 80lbs is all that noticeable (on the butt dyno)...if you want something practical, go with the wagon....and keep in mind, subaru makes a towing hitch for the wagon but not the sedan...not saying you can't get one for the sedan but it appears the wagon is a better platform for towing (in the eyes of subaru)...my 2 cents

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not have bought a WRX if there was not a wagon...3 kids and all. As for driving it...you won't miss anything compared to the sedan...just get the 20mm sway bar to take care of the extra roll

p

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I can help you. I have both a wagon and a sedan. I got the sedan as a fun car. I was going to buy the Outback LL Bean as a daily driver/dog hauler/do anything/truck alternative. I ordered the Outback and when I went down to pick it up, the dealer had a WRX wagon on the showroom. I thought about it for a whole three minutes and told them that I'd rather take home that one. I figured I still got a wagon type vehicle, which just happens to be really fast, and even saved money when compared to the $30,000 Outback.

The sedan is a five speed and the wagon is an auto. The sedan is faster. Probably because of the 5 speed. The sedan handles better and feels tighter in the turns. The sedan looks by far more sporty. I find myself driving it faster than I sould.

The wagon is my daily driver. I take it to Home Depot, Albertson's and anytime I need to haul something around. I also love the looks of a unsuspecting European car driver when he was just past by a wagon (with cross bars). LOL. I blends into traffic and many people still don't know what "WRX" on the rear hatch door means.

If I only had the choice of one or the other, I'd chose the wagon. The plus's out weigh the negatives. With a few suspension mods to the wagon you'll have the same or better handling than the sedan.

I'm glad I didn't bring home the Outback. I find my self enjoying the wagon more the sedan because of its usefulness it provides me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I much prefer the look of my wagon to a sedan. If given a choice, I'd choose the wagon every time. Practicality issues aside, I like the look of it better, and it's a less common WRX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts