ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just recently got my '04 wrx. However I think it was one of the biggest mistakes I made that I got a manual instead of an automatic. I just cannot drive this without stalling before first gear. I've practiced over and over again and just can't do it. People pump up and make manual's to be so great, and not too hard to learn. Well I just made an $18,500 mistake :( Such a shame too since it's a great car, but back to automatic I plan on going.

·
Registered
236 Posts
PaulNEPats said:
Hey guys,

I just recently got my '04 wrx. However I think it was one of the biggest mistakes I made that I got a manual instead of an automatic. I just cannot drive this without stalling before first gear. I've practiced over and over again and just can't do it. People pump up and make manual's to be so great, and not too hard to learn. Well I just made an $18,500 mistake :( Such a shame too since it's a great car, but back to automatic I plan on going.

Dont be a quitter. Once you master it, you know why turbo and manual is made for each other. With a name like yours, I assume you may be from Mass. If you need assistance and/or a cheerleader, I'll be glad to help. GO PATS, MAKE IT 3 IN 4!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yea don't give up yet!!! It took me a while to learn to drive stick on my buddy's Dodge Colt. Of course the thing was a piece of crap and had seen better days...but still, it took a while. You'll get it soon and it'll be second nature to be shifting all through traffic. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
it's just a matter of doing it... trust me, it's worth learning.. i won't drive automatics.. they're good in traffic, but otherwise... *YAWN*

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just disappointed in myself. This has been one of the most aggrivating experiences ever. I would love to drive a manual, but I just don't think I have the coordination to do it. I stalled in traffic twice today, and that doesn't help the confidence either.

·
Registered
647 Posts
yo i know exactly what u mean dude. I drove my friends manual jeep all the time, then i got my wrx i stalled for a good week before i got it, and i still am not that great (well, maybe) and i have had it for liek 3 months. Its a hard car but just stay with it. You will be blad you did.

Just ermember- walk before u run...meaning, take small side streets, and work your way up. if you are starting out in heavy traffic that might be the reason for you stallng b/c u are getting too nervous.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you stall in traffic, you need to have the "suckas, they can wait" attitude while it takes you the 20 seconds to restart the car.

Don't worry about it. Drive around your neighborhood a lot...stop signs, lights, etc. Just practice the stop...1st gear...stop...1st gear, and you'll get it.

My wife vowed never to touch a manual....I was teaching her on my WRX and she said, "this is kinda fun!". Yep...she stalled a bunch...once yer going it's all gravey.

Practice more, worry about others around you less.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Listen Paul, all you need to realize is that everyone who drives standard, at one point was like you. My first ride was an 85 chevy blazer with mad thick tints, I bucked that thing all over town till I had the cops get called on me cause people in my town thought i was a hoodlum sellin drugs to kids. Its ok to stall, but try and learn on someone elses car, If this is your first car, you got alotta umph when you let the clutch go and hit the gas, never quit. I teach people how to drive standard all the time, and the biggest thing to remember is that I looked and did the same things your doing now, said the same things. Dont listen to any a-hole tell you its easy, cause if you can't do it yet, it ain't. Practice Practice Practice...

NEVER SAY DIE!!!

S

·
0 Posts
quit yer bishing nd go drive. :rolleyes: :D

seriously. its not hard once you get it down. i think its best to learn your clutch sweet spot first and foremost. just go in ur driveway and figure out when your car engages. after you learn that exact point, build off it and learn how to control the gas and clutch evenly and so forth...

and dont worry about stopping traffic. F them. i had friends stall their cars in the middle of an intersection. and you shur as hell know i clowned them like no other. so be happy you dont have a friend like me sitting in your passenger and laffing at your horrid driving. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
that's the dumbest reason to get rid of your car:(

just cause you can't get it doesn't mean to give up...
took me quite some time to get it, now it's simple....
nothing comes in a day....takes time to really get it and in the end it's 29354834 times better than auto.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don't quit, man!

Everybody was telling me what a mistake it was to buy my '04 without knowing how to drive stick... EVER.

(caution: long)

I didn't drive it the day I got it, so I all I did was stare at it for a day. The next day, I told my old man to teach me. He had been the worst, telling me that I was gonna ruin the transmission and all this other negative crap. We went out that afternoon, then I drove around some building as high as second gear, stalling a few times, struggling going in reverse. Then all of a sudden he tells me to get into 28 and 7 (both in VA) which at the time were packed with cars but I started doing better.

The next day, with all this confidence and driving by myself, stalled it enough to call it quits and regret this whole move. I called my friend and he let me drive his s2k. I found it easier with his short shift, and after gunning it for a while, I was all smiles again.

It probably took a week to be able drive without stalling it. I have to drive every week to DC with its crappy roads for work, so I had to learn.

My suggestion is practice driving slowly so you can find all your mistakes. If you're not used to your tach, then you have to rely on hearing the revs so you know when to shift. That means turn that radio off!

It's been a tough month with the new Rex, 1 job in VA, 1 in DC and friggin school. I feel more comfortable driving now but I'm still learning, especially how to launch. :D

You'll be fine bro, don't quit on that Subie. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you saying this is your first manual car? If so, how did you get your drivers license? I know it's a joke getting one in this country but were you not stalling so much for the test? And where did you get an '04 for $18500? Or was it used?

·
Registered
19 Posts
you don't need to to know how to drive a manual transmission to get a driver's license in the US.. .

hey, that's another reason to learn to drive stick... if you want to rent a car in another country, it'll be cheaper... most rental cars in Europe and South America are manuals... you gotta pay extra for auto..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just think about it this way, we would be laughing at you harder if you trade it in for this reason. Just keep working on it. If you were closer to me I would teach you how. I've taught less talented people how to drive their own cars I'm sure.

Eye of the tiger, man ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok dude...you're not selling your car! Try this....park your WRX on a driveway or an incline of some sort (keep it running!)...apply the parking brake...now, practice slipping the clutch out...practice this way...so you get a better feel for it...which will in turn help with cordiniation. You can do it. We can help. haha. good luck! :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I was going to suggest that, but I was afraid he'd go thru the garage. You need more confidence. Remember when you learned how to put your pants on, you were probably 3. You are way passed that. You should be able to use your feet better.

Lift one foot, plant the other.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts