Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a WRX, is there anything i should be aware of when buying second hand, i'm looking anywhere between 2003-07 area.
I have in the past owned a toyota GT86 (best feeling car so far) and currently have a 350z, i wondered how this car compares? I feel like i want to try both turbo and AWD while still staying with a jap car so this seemed like the best option. i would also like to ask how easy or hard and the cost associated with getting the car to around 360bhp or maybe more as i do intend on modifying the car in the near future if i purchase one.

Thanks in advance

·
Æternum
15,859 Posts
The GT86 is incomparable to any year WRX. The GT86 will always be a much better handler with more neutral body motion mechanics. Any year WRX will feel like a truck comparatively.

A WRX of the vintage you indicated will very likely be through many owners and very likely (at some point) been maintained poorly. You may modify the car to your desire, but failures will be frequent and costly. I hope this is not a daily driver. Are you prepared to spend $8-10k on a car that is only worth half that on the market?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The GT86 is incomparable to any year WRX. The GT86 will always be a much better handler with more neutral body motion mechanics. Any year WRX will feel like a truck comparatively.

A WRX of the vintage you indicated will very likely be through many owners and very likely (at some point) been maintained poorly. You may modify the car to your desire, but failures will be frequent and costly. I hope this is not a daily driver. Are you prepared to spend $8-10k on a car that is only worth half that on the market?
I now drive a 350z and it doesn't handle as well as I thought it should really, but to reach the same bhp in a 350 it would take well above 8k, I am also wanting to try a turbo car and awd seems like it could be fun.

So is it realistic to say you can get 300 to 360 bhp car for under that, or would it be better to buy an already mapped one, I also liked the sound and look of a boxer engine better than i do the v6

·
Æternum
15,859 Posts
You would be well advised to consider something with more power out of the box. What V8 options are offered in the UK?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

1. You would be well advised to consider something with more power out of the box. What V8 options are offered in the UK?
    There aren't many tbh, not that I know of anyway, and also I am only 20 and the insurance works a bit worse over here to what I've gathered in the states, I have thought of other options such as a BMW 135i and 335i, however they are more expensive than a wrx

·
Super Moderator
11,426 Posts
It works the same, it's stupid expensive because young people are more likely to take the fast car and wipe out killing themselves and a bus full of kids.

BHP isn't everything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It works the same, it's stupid expensive because young people are more likely to take the fast car and wipe out killing themselves and a bus full of kids.

BHP isn't everything.
I have no clue how it works there tbh, American teens just seem to be able to have higher hp cars younger than in the UK, but that might be due to things such as mustang's and other v8's being more readily available?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My foremost concern would be the condition of a 2003-07 car. I would suggest a thorough pre-purchase inspection by a reputable service provider. Make sure you have a great -- and safe -- base vehicle before spending a lot of money on upgrades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts