ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay well I hate! my econobox Ford focus (mainly because it is an auto it was my only choice at the time). So that about sums up why I really want a new car lol. I am a full time college student looking for a job right now but I want to buy a wrx really bad I love the 05-07 sedans and I don't really need the sti model that bad seeing as the wrx will be my DD and weekend warrior. I have spent lots of time around cars and reading alot so I am not just some 19 year old kid that knows nothing about cars and just wants a nice sporty car. Any way lets get to it, My uncle owns a junk yard and has a license to buy salvaged cars from those insurance auction things. I found a really nice WRX that I like looks like it is in pretty good condition and my dad use to be a mechanic and I have a little experience working on cars with him at his friends body shop. So basically the repair part is all covered whatever I cant do my self I can get a good price on the repair at the shop. Looks like a pretty basic repair tho. Any way I have 4000 dollars right now and will have more when I sell my focus so I am thinking about buying this WRX here are some pictures (its a little modded too) has 60k miles on it.

Forgot to mention I would love to just buy a clean one but the price of one is still in the 18k range and I cant really afford that right now. I really want a WRX and the only way I can afford one is if it is salvage plus, it's also gonna be a project that I am gonna keep for a real long time.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
if you're concerned about money... that car right there will be a money pit. I wouldn't do it, unless it were given to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you're concerned about money... that car right there will be a money pit. I wouldn't do it, unless it were given to me.
Oh really? The car is in that bad condition huh? =/ That sucks. Got happy thought maybe it would just need some body work done I guess I'll just have to put my dream of owning a subbie on hold till I can afford a clean used one.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
that motor and tranny is probably as roached as the body is. If you can do a compression and leak down test as well as a test drive thru all gears you may be ok..

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
+1 if you dont have a lot of money... and you're looking for a job right now why on earth would you spend the only 4000 you have on buying a car?

save that money. you never know how much of a ***** the economy can be & finding a job is not easy. you may need that money for something more important especially if you already have a functioning car [even if you hate it]

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Hate to sound like a douche here but do you have any debt at all? If so, why are you saving money while paying interest? Just something I never really understood. If you have money in your savings pay off or pay down your debt. Save $500 or so for emergency but beyond that stop paying interest.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah not gonna lie, that thing is pretty beat up, and will likely be much more of a money pit than the cash you have on hand. You're in college...save some money, enjoy not having to spend jack-squat for gas, and once you graduate...you'll have a good job to afford a nicer newer WRX that hasn't been beat to hell.

I had a Jetta that I wanted to do some mods to and put some money into it through the last couple years of college. My parents told me to chill, save my money, and when I graduate and get a job, wait til I could afford my own car. 6 months out of school, I bought myself a brand new 2007 STI. Much better than a salvaged WRX. Then I modded it, put 310hp to the wheels and loved it! No issues knowing what might have been busted or trashed from the previous owners. Trust us...a little patience is a wonderful virtue :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hate to sound like a douche here but do you have any debt at all? If so, why are you saving money while paying interest? Just something I never really understood. If you have money in your savings pay off or pay down your debt. Save $500 or so for emergency but beyond that stop paying interest.
^^^^ this is smart talk here. I know this is a car forum, but listen to this. Debt free is best :)

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I wouldn't say the car is worthless. Actually, it's worth a lot to someone who knows what to do with it, how to fix it, and how to play the salvage title game.

If you don't know all of the above, walk away and save your money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
jeez i think its a good deal if you can do a lot of that work ...if you have to outsource then not...but i know i could do it...the frame or unibody does not look twisted so i would do it..but just have to wait for repairs and time to do it..its not like its gonna get done in a month if your doing the repairs{at least not on my time schedule}..so if you like the car and have the time and energy then go for it...i really like doing that kinda stuff..i have built many harleys and now have a '74 slc merc on my plate ..and when my son was home we built his jeep and its kick butt..jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
I say go for it... but you really need a job to support it....and then with it bieng salvaged....

Its like this....

A salvaged car is like a girl that has been assaulted

she might be over it and acts normal buts shes never the same...food for thought.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
The problem with a salvaged car is look at the car, its modified.. Which is fine, but do you know its modified correctly? I understand accidents happen however the likely ness of it being just an accident on a modified wrx is slim. My guess is the transmission and engine are in just as good of shape as the body of the car so sure if your buying a shell cool.. But realize your swap is serious $$$

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I say go for it... but you really need a job to support it....and then with it bieng salvaged....

Its like this....

A salvaged car is like a girl that has been assaulted

she might be over it and acts normal buts shes never the same...food for thought.
Have you put many back together?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Have you put many back together?
I have.. quite a few actually. I have a few buddies in the body shop buiz that used to buy cars like this to rebuild and flip them (usually selling to buy here/pay here dealers... which is why I'll NEVER buy anything from one of those places). Salvage title "game" is a correct way to put it too... if you dont know how to play then dont bother. Car condition aside, the title mess alone can be a huge time/money waste. As for the car, I'm with Bo on this one.. it might look ok.. but without much deeper inspection I'd be really cautious. There's a reason its a salvage car.

And as stated before.. patience is key. Why buy a salvage car when the daily you have is reliable and efficient? Even if you hate it.. its at least reliable. Once you snag a job and start pulling in decent cash go out and find a clean wrx or sti. You'll love it that much more when you can get in, turn key and drive. Keep that $4k and keep building it up. Bo's also dead on about the debt, if you have any.. pay that crap off! If not, build that $4k into more that you can use as payment down on what you really want later. Then you can have the car you want AND reasonably low payments.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I have.. quite a few actually. I have a few buddies in the body shop buiz that used to buy cars like this to rebuild and flip them (usually selling to buy here/pay here dealers... which is why I'll NEVER buy anything from one of those places). Salvage title "game" is a correct way to put it too... if you dont know how to play then dont bother. Car condition aside, the title mess alone can be a huge time/money waste. As for the car, I'm with Bo on this one.. it might look ok.. but without much deeper inspection I'd be really cautious. There's a reason its a salvage car.

And as stated before.. patience is key. Why buy a salvage car when the daily you have is reliable and efficient? Even if you hate it.. its at least reliable. Once you snag a job and start pulling in decent cash go out and find a clean wrx or sti. You'll love it that much more when you can get in, turn key and drive. Keep that $4k and keep building it up. Bo's also dead on about the debt, if you have any.. pay that crap off! If not, build that $4k into more that you can use as payment down on what you really want later. Then you can have the car you want AND reasonably low payments.
Rebuilding a salvage car to sell and rebuilding one to keep are two different things.

If you know what you're doing with the title it's easy, just time consuming. If you don't, you can easily make horrible mistakes that will cost you a lot of money. There are more tricks than you can imagine, and there are ways to wash titles and a carfax.

A salvage car is simply a car that had monetary damage exceeding a certain threshold of its value. A brand new $35k car will need about $26k - $28k in damage to total. A 10 year old car worth $8k will take roughly $6k worth of damage to total.

Cars are simply raw materials welded, bolted, and glued together with a coat of paint slapped on top. Remove all of the damaged components and panels. Make sure the remaining components are straight and meet specifications and build back up. It's simple. Cars don't have souls. If you fix it correctly, it will be the same if not better. Keep in mind you aren't a factory trying to save money and work on a schedule. You can take the time to make it perfect.

Now building to sell at auction? That's a different story. Bubble gum, duct tape, whatever it takes to hold it together. I've built a few to keep, and more than I can remember to sell.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Personally I would not mess with a salvaged car... I'd rather buy one with a blown motor and put a swap in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only from in educated ppl saying not to buy. If you have the means there is nothing wrong with a salvage vehicle it just means some insurance company didn't want to pay. If it had been wrecked without insurance it wouldnt be a salvage vehicle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts