ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what exhaust do you guys recommend for an apex or hks? i also want the tilting look on my car. and what kind of uppipe downpipe ? thinking about a turbo back but which one is bettter, a catback or turbback, or is not a difference? im a noob so please help. i want my car to soun nice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
apexi gt spec and hks hi power almost look exactly the same, except the gt spec is louder. Both are 3 inch piping.

Then there's the Apexi N1, which is also angled, but 2.5 inch piping.

Those are catback exhausts.

Uppies and Downies you can get a Perrin or Helix. Both companies make them.

For more info, check out the sticky at the top of the page.

A turboback is the downie and catback exhaust together.

A full turboback is the uppie, downie, and catback exhaust together.

If you get an uppie and a downie, you will most likely be eliminating all the catalytic converters (3 of them).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
The apexi starts off 3 inch, but gets bigger toward the muffler. I don't think the hks is all stainless. Both are good. choose one and be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
ImPrEzZaNoOb said:
i was also thinking about the invidias, i know its a little pricy but i dont mind. what do you guys think about that. please explain to me what are stickies...
It is the very first thread in the Engine Performance section.

The thread title is called:

Sticky: Engine Performance FAQ

or click here ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
ImPrEzZaNoOb said:
what exhaust do you guys recommend for an apex or hks? i also want the tilting look on my car. and what kind of uppipe downpipe ? thinking about a turbo back but which one is bettter, a catback or turbback, or is not a difference? im a noob so please help. i want my car to soun nice
I am selling my Apexi N1 catback. Its got the angled up and out look to it and sounds good.

you can see some pics of it on my subbie on page 2 of

http://members.cardomain.com/silverstitch02

let me know what you think.... I am looking to get ~$300



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
wait... total wrx noob here... so if you get a turboback setup, will your car no longer be emissions legal? i live in jersey, so that stuff's kinda important...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
fr0IVIan said:
wait... total wrx noob here... so if you get a turboback setup, will your car no longer be emissions legal? i live in jersey, so that stuff's kinda important...
any time u mess with the cats it's illegal. You will most likely fail emissions as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
I had an Apexi GT Spec, and the quality was excellent. It was pretty loud when combined with a Borla header, though. They sound like crap with the silencer in place.
fr0IVIan said:
wait... total wrx noob here... so if you get a turboback setup, will your car no longer be emissions legal? i live in jersey, so that stuff's kinda important...
You can get a turboback with a high-flow cat and still pass emissions. You can also mix n' match catted downpipes and catbacks to make a turboback. Helix, TurboXS, and Maddad (daddysscp.com) all make good catted downpipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
TurnWRX said:


A turboback is the downie and catback exhaust together.

A full turboback is the uppie, downie, and catback exhaust together.

who came up with these terms? lol

a full turbo back includes something before the the turbo too? i was under the impression that a turbo back starts, after the turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
NOTimprezed said:
who came up with these terms? lol

a full turbo back includes something before the the turbo too? i was under the impression that a turbo back starts, after the turbo.
a turboback is everything after the turbo.

But for simplicity's sake, a full turboback is the uppie combined with downie and catback. It's easier to type that instead of typing "I have an uppipe and a turboback." Sure it might sound confusing but ask anyone familiar with wrx's and they will know what you are talking about when u say full turboback exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
McBain said:
I had an Apexi GT Spec, and the quality was excellent. It was pretty loud when combined with a Borla header, though. They sound like crap with the silencer in place.

You can get a turboback with a high-flow cat and still pass emissions. You can also mix n' match catted downpipes and catbacks to make a turboback. Helix, TurboXS, and Maddad (daddysscp.com) all make good catted downpipes.
ok, this is what i thought would make sense. i was thinking either high flow catted up/downpipes or just get a nice catback with a qtec when i want to go all out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top